The things to look for when buying a used tank are

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How to Buy a Used Tank

The things to look for when buying a used tank are fairly simple:

- Don't buy a tank with broken glass! If someone is willing to give you a tank with one broken pane and you are up to repairing it, then great - but don't spend money on a broken one.

- Don't buy tanks with chipped corners. Glass can and will run from a chip. That is not to say that you can't get by with a chip, but don't pay good money just to wake up one morning to a wet living room full of dead fish and broken glass! If you do have a tank with a chip, take some emery cloth and buff all of the edges of the chip sot hat it cannot run. -
Nice thing is, when buying a used tank you get all of the accessories that you would have had to pay extra for had you bought it at the store!

- Avoid bare tanks. When you have to spend money on lighting, filtration, UGF, and a heater, you are going to be out some serious money. Most people who have a tank have the accessories. The only tanks that I have seen without any are tanks that were used for snakes or hamsters or some other small animal. I bought three tanks from a fellow with all of the accessories, and as I was leaving he asked me if I wanted a canister filter. He gave me a Magnum 350 Deluxe with all of the parts in working order for free!

When you get the tank home, take a long, careful look at the condition of the silicone! Make sure, after wiping it out, that the silicone is not brittle and turning yellow.
- If the silicone is questionable, take the time to scrape out the old silicone and replace it. When you do this, be sure to take out all of the old silicone. Old silicone will not bond well with the new and there is always the possibility of a leak. I bought a nice tank and spent a whole lot of time scraping out the old silicone and replacing it,but I neglected to replace the silicone holding the center brace. I got up one morning to find the brace hanging down in the tank and the front glass bowing out almost two inches!
Take your time and do it all.
- Wipe down every area that is going to be caulked with a 25% vinegar solution and dry.
- I use GE-brand window and door silicone that I get at the local building supply. It's cheap and it's the same stuff that you buy at the LFS for a lot more money. Do not use the stuff labeled for kitchens and baths! It contains mould inhibitors that will kill your fish!
- Take some masking tape (I use the blue kind for painters) and mask both sides of every corner about 3/8" out from the corner. This will help you get real nice, professional-looking corners. If you don't, it won't affect the strength but it will not look as nice.
- Put the caulk in all of the joints in a continuous bead. Dampen your finger in a bowl of water and smooth the bead to a neat, concave surface. Wipe your finger on a rag or paper towel regularly and keep it moist, and you will make some real nice-looking joints!
- As soon as you are done smoothing out the beads, carefully remove the masking tape. Do not touch up the silicone again or you will probably have a mess on your hands.
- Finally, test your tank outdoors. Don't take a chance and have to replace the carpet or hardwood floor because you were impatient! Buy a piece of Styrofoam at the local building supply and cut it out to match the bottom of your new tank. Set your tank on this, fill it up all the way, and leave it for a couple of days if possible. The Styrofoam will take up any difference in the surface that you set the tank on and not create undue stress on the tank.
Keep your eyes open!

Remember it is at your own risk.......

It is safer to buy a new Aquarium Good luck and happy fish keeping!

Thanks emmi,

I'm looking at a used tank today (40 gal w/stand and all accessories for $50!) and your post is in perfect timing!

Boy, I hope this kit is as good as it sounds...

My old tank was a used one, with nearly all the accessories. It was cheap, and in good condition, so it was really a bargain. Now that I started looking for a tank again after a break, I looked for used ones again, but could only find a couple from my area that I'd consider. One was asking a way too high a price for a used tank, and the other guy wanted me to take the fish with the tank, which didn't fit my plans. So I ended up getting a new one. But especially if you live in a large town, I'm pretty sure you'll find plenty of good, used tanks for a low price!

To lend weight to “emmi” post, being a builder, I agree with his conclusion on silicone “caulk”. We call it “mastic” and we use it all time for sealing glass and it is (currently) similar to the expensive aquarium sealant.

You can also get a chemical “silicone remover” or use a very sharp scraper to remove excessive or old mastic. Always read instructions and leave for 24 hours before use.

hi guys

I live in a country where heartquake are frequents...
i bought few tanks second hand i never had any problems...

but never be too careful

For those who are interested in DIY Tanks

So you built tanks that ´s interesting...

I would like to ask you

For Those who are interested in DIY

is it expensive to built a 92 gallons tank for exemple?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom