There are wirery leaves coming out of my jungle val?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Build My Led fixture with a dimmer. I thought I posted that info on here but it was a different thread. This fixture with the dimmer can be used with light levels from 10-100% giving you options for very low to high light options. Does good in deeper tanks. I have 4 of these fixtures and they do very well on deeper tanks. They are more expensive than a 2 bulb T5HO fixture ( I use Aquatic Life fixtures with Geisemann bulbs and have a good solid medium light in my deeper tank) but with T5HO fixtures you have to replace bulbs every 9-12 months so you can spend more over time than the upfront cost of an LED.

The twisted leaves could be from shipping or the light level it was grown under. Hard to say but what matters is that new growth comes in nice and straight. Use root tabs every 45 days or so and your sword should do fine.

Do you know what I should do with the melting vals? Someone said I should cut them because it encourages growth.

You might want to cut back on the liquid carbon for starters as that along with them acclimating could be attributing to the melting problem. Also when plants are acclimating I don't recommend cutting them at all. Leave them do their thing as many times plants that melt if left alone and the roots stay intact will in fact grow new leaves in a few weeks.

When you say cut back, do you mean entirely, or just a little? Thanks.

You could stop if you wanted or only use 1/2 the normal dose daily to see if it helps.

I am still a bit confused on what type of lighting my tank needs. You guys have seen my plants. Height is 19". So what fixture do I need. Could you give me both leds and fluorescents? Sorry, I just have no clue what type of lights I need.

I am still a bit confused on what type of lighting my tank needs. You guys have seen my plants. Height is 19". So what fixture do I need. Could you give me both leds and fluorescents? Sorry, I just have no clue what type of lights I need.

Well, at 19 inches deep, that's a pretty tall tank to light. Two t5s would give you about medium light, and 4 would put you into high light. I like the Aquaticlife fixtures, but you could always look on aquatraders and get one for cheap. It would do the job.

For led, there's the BuildMyLED fixture which are nice. Rivercats uses those. They have a dimmer so you can control the light output. Finnex is coming out with a Planted+ led here pretty soon. They also have the Ray 2, and the Fugeray.

Oh okay. How do you choose a led light? Like I don't get how to specifically customize the led for my tank. I understand the fluorescents.

Here's a link to Build My Led... Freshwater - Build My LED, LLC

They have several FW light spectrums to choose from but IMO going with the 6300K Dutch is best but you could also do the 7000K Iwagumi. I have 4 of these fixtures and they do very well in deeper tanks plus you can buy the dimmer attachment which allows you to use the light from 10-100% which allows you to use low, med, or high light. AND these Led's are specifically made for planted tanks which most Led's aren't geared for. They are more expensive to buy upfront but you save money over other fixtures in the long run as you don't have to be replacing bulbs every 9-12 months.

Okay yeah they look very cool. Would I just place this on my tank? I have a glass top. And yes, they are very expensive. I will wait till december. I have changed fixtures like 3 times already because I don't know which are right lol.

You have to order the dimmer kit and either the foot/leg mounting kit or the hanging kit separate. I use the foot/leg mounts and have 2 fixtures over open top tanks and 2 fixtures over tanks with glass lids. So you can do whichever works for you.

I thought the leg mounts were just for glass rim open top tanks. I have a black trim. Also, what would you recommend for the beam angle? And....they don't list 25 gallons as a tank size.

I thought the leg mounts were just for glass rim open top tanks. I have a black trim. Also, what would you recommend for the beam angle? And....they don't list 25 gallons as a tank size.

What is the tank's length... 24", 30", or 36"? You pick the fixture out by the length of the tank. They used to list sizes by the inches and don't know why they put tank sizes on there since all you need is a fixture that is the proper length. So if you have a 30" tank you'd get the one for what they have as a 29g tank since the fixture is 30" long. You can call them as they are very helpful on the phone. You actually have that in step 2 of select your fixture length. The only thing I don't know about is step 3 (select your light level) si again I'd call them.

In my 2 deeper tanks I actually ordered the 75% beam angle to give a more condensed light for deeper tank penetration. I'm very happy with that. But in my other two tanks I have 90% beam angle which gives a wider spread of light but doesn't give as high a PAR reading, meaning less light intensity reaches the bottom). So you have to decide what you want more. With the 75% beam angle the entire tank is still lite up plenty IMO.

You need the little feet attachments as they keep the light from sitting right on the glass and make it sit securely. They only lift the light maybe an inch and aren't like the legs you see on say the T5HO fixtures that raise the light 3 or 4 inches above the tank.

Okay so most of my plants are doing fine. I tossed the bacopa because the leaves were rotting. Also, my jungle val leaves are getting thin and are recovering from the melting and my amazon sword has ruffles still. Stopped the excel dosing. I am planning to get the dutch build my leds. Any idea why the jungle val leaves are thin?

Do leaves get thin when there are no nutrients or not enough light?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388469516.093544.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388469540.701561.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388469572.758043.jpg
So the plants are in ruin after I left the tank in care of another person for a total of 10 days. The amazon sword leaves all have holes and are yellow and brown. The jungle vals are melted, brown and thin. I haven't bought the bml yet, but plan to do so in the next couple of weeks. Any tips to help revive the plants? There are pics that show the tank.

Cut the bad leaves off the sword and add a new root tab. Then add a new root tab in the area of the val's and use whatever water fert you normally use. Then just be patient and give the plants some time.

Just wondering...are these issues do to lights or ferts?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom