there is a black substance on things in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is a black substance on my leaves, rocks and decoration in my 40B. The water parameters are all ok. What is this stuff and how do I get rid of it.

Sounds like some sort of algae or diatom can you post a pic?

picture of the black funk in my tank

I was finally able to get a pic of the black funk on my plants and rocks. I removed all the leaves which has this stuff on it. what is this an indication of? I change 50% water weekly even if the water parameters are good.

Attachments

• black gunk.jpg
    black gunk.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 67
Sorry I still can't tell from the pic's but tell me this... is it fuzzy and some in tufts or is it shiny and grows in sheets that you can almost peel off?

The only thing that comes close to that is green spot algae. It is usually round circles of dark green algae that is so hard you often need a razor blade to remove it. I keep looking at the pic's and part of what I'm seeing on the leaf looks like some nutrient deficiencies. What type of plants do you have and what ferts are you using?

Are you able to remove the decorations? If so I can tell you how to treat them with Peroxide outside the tank to see if that helps. Also how long are you leaving lights on daily?

First try running your lighting only 6 hours daily. Then remove the decorations, lay paper towels down in a sink, put the decorations on them and squirt them down with hydrogen peroxide. Use the peroxide wet paper towels to lay over the decorations and let sit for 20 minutes. Then just put them back in the tank, no rinsing needed. If it is a type of algae it will die off. If that doesn't work I don't know what to tell you.

You also need to put root tabs under any swords, crypts, or bulb plants and then get some Flourish Comprehensive and dose weekly after WC's. Your plants need some type of fertilization.

Back
Top Bottom