They come from the deep...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mykpoz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not really aquarium related, but its a distant relative of some of the guys we have to battle...

Bathynomus giganticus is its name...

supposed to live at @1000m off the gulf of mexico/atlantic coast...

WOW :crazyeyes:

Just be glad you wont have to deal with them...

Attachments

• image11_485_131.jpg
    image11_485_131.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 48
  • roach_453.jpg
    roach_453.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 75
that has to be one of the grossest things ive ever seen lol like something off an outer space movie

Somewhere someone would look at that "bug" and think , " Wow ! Good eatin' " Ewwwwww...

Not exactly the type of pod I want in my tank....

"One such species, Bathynomus giganticus, is found in water up to 1,000 m (off the Gulf of Mexico and the South Atlantic coast of the U.S.); it can grow up to about 28 cm in length. It is usually caught in baited traps, which it enters to scavenge fish carcasses. It actively preys on smaller animals as well as scavenges on anything organic that drops to the sea floor."

I saw the 1st photo and I thought it was a microscopic shot of a coepod or soem type of water bug. Then I saw the second picture and realized it's actual size. Pretty nasty creature but I am sure it serves it purpose.

Jsut imagine all of the thins in the sea that are even nastier lookign that man has yet to find. And think about all the things that are microscopic and how nasty they look when you magnify them. Crazy to even think about.

Back
Top Bottom