Things Learned During Feeding Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
1. If you think an algae eater will eat algae off your tank and make your algae go away, don't count on it. Any fish that can clean a tank up that well is generally starving or oversized for the tank. Case in point: my SAE has already become spoiled in a couple months, going straight for algae wafers and even eating flake food from the surface of the water.

2. Bigger algae wafers not broken up seem to give bottom dwellers a chance. My Gouramis are pigs and eat anything. After they've eaten from the surface, they will shoot to the floor and proceed to eat food meant for Otos and Panda Cories. I was lazy and didn't break up some of the wafers. The bottom dwellers do fine sharing the wafers. The other fish have a harder time, because they're large and can't suck on them like the the catfish.

3. Shrimp are sneaky. As soon as food hits the floor, the Ghost Shrimp run in, grab a piece, and then run out of the way.

I have some pictures that I will post later.

I wish I had a video camera.
Whenever I toss in algae wafers for my BN plecs, my 3 angelfish catch and pass the wafer between themselves until it finally reaches the bottom. They try to nibble, but the wafer is too awkward for them to hang onto. It's like watching three uncoordinated children play hacky-sack with a frisbee.

my angles pick up the wafer and carry it around sometimes with one on each side of it like a tugg of war. I love watching them it.

Back
Top Bottom