Thinking about going saltwater....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I just recieved a 55gallon tank for my chichlids. So now that leaves me with 2 tanks that are open. I have always wanted to do a SW tank and I think now is the time :)

I have a 10gallon tank I would really like to use to start SW. Would a 10g be ok with like to small fish? (I havnt researched what fish I want yet, but I still have a while to get a light fixture, sand, cycling, etc).

Now about lighting? What is a good lamp for SW tanks? I dont want to spend hundreds on a light but I dont want to go cheap so a good inbetween light.

What about filters and such. Im use to FW tanks so school me on this. For a small tank what would be the necessary item to use.\

TIA

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I have a 10gallon tank I would really like to use to start SW. Would a 10g be ok with like to small fish?
If this is your first SW tank, I do not really recommend starting with a 10gal. Smaller tanks are less stable, require more attention and really limit your livestock choice. I suggest no smaller then a 29gal. That being said, you can attempt a 10gal and be successful if you are very dilegant.
Now about lighting? What is a good lamp for SW tanks?
Lighting is going to depend on what type of tank you want. If you are interested in corals you will need a stronger lighting system. If you are just planning a couple of fish, NO flouresent lighting will be fine.
What about filters and such
Lots of options here. SW tanks need to be stocked very lightly. My suggestion for biological filtration is using LR. 15-20lbs in a 10gal should be okay. In a tank of that size, the more biological filtration you have hte better. This will aid in keeping water parameters aceeptable. Finally, get yourself a good book on SW tanks. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner.

lando said:
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I have a 10gallon tank I would really like to use to start SW. Would a 10g be ok with like to small fish?
If this is your first SW tank, I do not really recommend starting with a 10gal. Smaller tanks are less stable, require more attention and really limit your livestock choice. I suggest no smaller then a 29gal. That being said, you can attempt a 10gal and be successful if you are very dilegant.
Now about lighting? What is a good lamp for SW tanks?
Lighting is going to depend on what type of tank you want. If you are interested in corals you will need a stronger lighting system. If you are just planning a couple of fish, NO flouresent lighting will be fine.
What about filters and such
Lots of options here. SW tanks need to be stocked very lightly. My suggestion for biological filtration is using LR. 15-20lbs in a 10gal should be okay. In a tank of that size, the more biological filtration you have hte better. This will aid in keeping water parameters aceeptable. Finally, get yourself a good book on SW tanks. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner.

Thanks for the reply. I think I might try the 10 gallon. Im pretty good about keeping up with my tanks and making sure they are all in good condition. I really want to learn about this before I put stock in.

I can get liverock at the LFS. Will a small Ext filter work also? Also will just a normal power head work to keep the water flowing well. I would like to get some sort of coral at some time. Mainly I want to just get my feet wet. Are corals alot of maintance also?

What kind of lights are out there for corals? Since I plan on getting coral now or eventually I dont want to have to buy two lights :)

I would like to go ahead and get the tank cycling and i figure in 4-5 weeks time from reading I should be able to throw some livestock in.

PC lights are nice and less expensive.
Ext filter would work but can become a place for harboring nitrates. I would get about ten or fifteen pounds of live rock, get some rubble for the ext filter, or leave it empty and use it just for turnover, and a maxi jet for flow. You want 10x's the gallons of flow for your tank. So shoot for 100gph.
Corals aren't that much more maintenance but there are some lps corals that need to be hand fed, like the sun coral.
You could go ahead and get your liverock and use it to cycle your tank. It may help it cycle quicker depending on how much die off you get.

OK cool, I'm going to go get some live rock today and will go ahead and get the water cycling. Where would you all suggest getting lights online? Any certain brands are better than others? The LFS around here dont do to much with SW stuff so Im depending all on you all :)

I would suggest checking out the site sponsors. They sometimes have some sweet deals. And some offer AA discounts. Off the top of my head, (since I've had experience with them) try Darrin at captive reefs. He'll help you figure out what you need. Or have a look at aquariumguys.com. Also, be sure to get a good test kit so you can watch how your cycle is progressing. You'll want something for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. Also, it's worth the money to get a refractometer to test your salinity. Swing arm hydrometers are good, but not as accurate. I'll suggest aquaticeco.com for one.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/931/cid/206

You all are the greatest! What all do I need to get the tank cycling. I got the livesand, salt, hydrometer and Ill get a kit to keep an eye on it. Also have a small filter to get the water moving some. I need ot get a power head probally next week to get some real flow in the tank.

Main question now is what numbers do I want to see? Do I have to have a lamp to do the cycling? If so will lamp do right now until my next paycheck can get me a hood?

Also what fish can i have in a 10gallon tank? Maybe 1 or 2 of something?

Also a buddy of mine had these things in his tank that hide in the sand. Then when you put the food in the water they like all came out of no where. What are those called?]

Will this light fixture work?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...=11418&ref=3532&subref=AY&N=2004+113030+22735
TIA

I pm'd you back.
You wanna throw in a fuel source like a raw shrimp.
The numbers you want to see are 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. This is gonna take a couple weeks so be patient. :D
As for fish, in a tank that small, one or two fish is gonna be the most you can keep comfortably.
Maybe a pair of clowns, or individual fish to choose from could be, a royal gramma, maybe a shrimp goby/watchman goby, firefish or a dottyback. Here is a link to liveaquaria.com with other choices listed under nano fish.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

The things in the sand sound like nassarius snails. They are really cool. That's another thing you'll want to consider when stocking. Inverts. You'll want to get some snails but since you are limited on fish, you could add a few peppermint shrimp or cleaner shrimp, etc. and they won't add to your bioload.
Also, if you choose to get a watchman/shrimp goby, you might want to consider find a pistol shrimp friend for him. :D

Back
Top Bottom