Thinking about switching to a sand substrate..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryorgason

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have of medium sized rocks and some smaller gravel, but as the food tends to bury itself in the rocks where my bottom feeders can't reach it, I think I need a much smaller sized substrate. I have a 30 gal with 1 betta, 3 white clouds, 2-3 otos, and 5 cories. As I really enjoy the cories and want to focus more on them, and have read that they prefer a sand substrate, I'd like to switch. So I did some research on how to safely swap out my current substrate and put a new one in. But what kind of sand should I get, and where can I get it, and how much will I need?

I recommend Pool Filter Sand because it is cheap and found at every pool supply store. I've only seen it sold in 50 lb bags, so that should be sufficient for you.

I recommend pool filter sand, can be purchased at pool supply stores. Looks very natural, is very inexpensive and 1 50 lb bag may be enough for your tank.

Great, I'll have to look up a pool supply store around here. Do I need to rinse out the sand before putting it in the tank? Also, I imagine a gravel vac would suck up the sand, so how do I clean the tank once I have sand in there? I have a python that I've been using.

To clean the sand: Fill a 5 gal bucket half full of sand. Put a garden hose in the bucket and stir around the sand, letting the water overflow the bucket. Keep swishing it around, kicking up all of the sand. The particles should float out. Keep doing this until the water that overflows comes out clear. Then just dump the water out and put the sand in the tank.

Pool filter sand is relatively heavy. It should not suck out through the python. But, if it does get sucked up into the vac, turn the tube to the side and it will fall out. I move the sand in our tanks with the python and don't lose any of it unless I really suck up ALOT.

OMG.........I was just reading your post and I almost thought it was the same one that I posted on a couple sites here within the last 2 to 3 days. I have a 55 gallon tank that i'm changing the substrate from gravel to sand. Make it look a little more realistic. so I am wanting to do the same thing, so I have been trying to get advice on what to use and how to use it. I hope it works out well for you. On one of the other sites that I have posted on has also told me to use pool filter sand.
I wouldn't check at a pool supply store if you can help it they are going to charge you a little more than a Lowe's or Home Depot would charge for the same thing.

Good luck...

I couldn't find PFS at the Lowe's here. It was only $10 for a 50 pound bag at a pool supply store, still much cheaper than sand from the LFS.

I just went out this morning and looked at my local Lowes and Home Depot store and all they sell is play sand. So I stopped by my local Pool supply store and got a 50 lb bag for $5.99 and they had like 2 skids of it.
50 lbs may not be quite enough for me but it will help me out.

Back
Top Bottom