Thinking about switching to LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone, I'm currently thinking about the option of switching over from duel T5 HO to planted LEDs. I can see that they look very good on many tanks here on AA. My problem is this: I find it very hard to find the balance between lighting, ferts, and CO2. My T5's give out a PAR of about 70-80, and I can't change that unless I'd fork out more money for something that would allow me to reduce lighting. It is very hard to maintain algae in this tank without having a ton of CO2 cranking. So, would it be easier to maintain a high-tech tank with LEDs? Would I get better color from my plants and fish? Would my plants respond better to the LEDs? Tell me all there is to know about the best LED fixtures for planted tanks! I'd have a budget of about $130. Thanks!!

Note: I have these plants in my tank:
Dwarf Hairgrass, Downoi, Lobelia cardinalis, Blyxa japonica, Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis', Alternanthera reineckii 'Roseafolia', Flame Moss and Java Fern on driftwood, Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigia repens, and Anubias nana 'petite' on driftwood.

I don't think I'd need too high of light to support these plants, just light that is good enough for all of these plants to prosper with a less chance of there being algae. High lighting is becoming somewhat of chore.

For a $130 budget and that size tank, I think the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 would be perfect. Only thing is that they appear to be sold out and there's a wait of about a month or more on Amazon. My tank is only 2" shallower and my 24" 24/7 is growing everything under it very well.

For a $130 budget and that size tank, I think the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 would be perfect. Only thing is that they appear to be sold out and there's a wait of about a month or more on Amazon. My tank is only 2" shallower and my 24" 24/7 is growing everything under it very well.

Would the regular Finnex Planted+ be the same as the Finnex Planted+ 24/7, with the exception of the sunrise and sunset features? Also, what PAR would I be getting out of fixtures like these? In terms of my tank, I think medium lighting with a 2 hour high light burst would be better in terms of algae control than my current 7.5 hours of total high light. Thanks for the help!

Im not sure about official numbers, but someone posted these results. PAR @ 12" = 75 / @ 16" = 65.

I think the fact that the 24/7 uses RGB diodes, you get better full spectrum coverage and color rendering from the plants and fauna. The regular planted+ is nice too, but it's not dimmable.

Im not sure about official numbers, but someone posted these results. PAR @ 12" = 75 / @ 16" = 65.

I think the fact that the 24/7 uses RGB diodes, you get better full spectrum coverage and color rendering from the plants and fauna. The regular planted+ is nice too, but it's not dimmable.

Okay, it looks like the 24/7 would be the better option since it has a dimmer. Maybe if I'd order it soon, I'd be more likely to get it more quickly. Do you use pressurized CO2 with this unit? Do you use the sunrise and sunset features also? I'd love to see some pictures of your tank that has this light on it.

Also, what would I do if some of the LEDs would burn out? Would I just send it to the company that makes these to repair it?

Check out this thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=868809&nocache=1435094602784

I do use pressurized co2 but my tank is only 14" tall, so like 12" from light to substrate. I also keep it on 24/7 automation mode and I get good results on growth and coloration.

I've had several LED fixtures throughout the years, Finnex, Current, Fluval, and Ecoxotic.. I've been lucky enough that none have stopped working on me. For the most part, I think LED technology is pretty reliable. But if warranty is a concern, I think Finnex doesn't offer one as long as the others.

Last edited:
Check out this thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=868809&nocache=1435094602784

I do use pressurized co2 but my tank is only 14" tall, so like 12" from light to substrate. I also keep it on 24/7 automation mode and I get good results on growth and coloration.

I've had several LED fixtures throughout the years, Finnex, Current, Fluval, and Ecoxotic.. I've been lucky enough that none have stopped working on me. For the most part, I think LED technology is pretty reliable. But if warranty is a concern, I think Finnex doesn't offer one as long as the others.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to experiment with my tank and the T5's for a little bit, and if I'm still dissatisfied with it, I'll purchase this fixture.

I might have to buy this fixture eventually. I've had my T5 HO fixture for nearly 5 years. I just realized this, and I'm hoping a ballast won't burn out on me any time soon. Correct me if I'm wrong about the lifespan of T5 HO lamps (I thought they had a lifespan of anywhere between 15,000 to 20,000 hours on average?). One more question... Can I program the 24/7 fixture to run at a dimmed setting for certain parts of the day, and run at full power at another part of it if I don't want to use the pre-programmed settings? Thanks again!

Honestly T5 + LED is always a great option. Don't throw away the great light source.

Nah, I wouldn't throw it away ?. I'd probably just use the Finnex fixture on my tank, and sell the T5's on this forum to somebody if I get it.

Why wouldn't you run both? Consider LEDs supplemental lighting to your T5s. LEDs can run the 12hr photo period, and T5 can be on for say 5 hours. I guess in this scenario T5 is supplemental haha.

You'd be much happier with both than just LED. It's likely if you went to LED alone you'd be less satisfied with growth rates.

Why wouldn't you run both? Consider LEDs supplemental lighting to your T5s. LEDs can run the 12hr photo period, and T5 can be on for say 5 hours. I guess in this scenario T5 is supplemental haha.

You'd be much happier with both than just LED. It's likely if you went to LED alone you'd be less satisfied with growth rates.

I'll probably end up sticking with just the T5 HO's anyway. Although, I do find this thread informational for future build possibilities for myself ?...maybe for a small office tank. The light is on a huge backorder anyway. Here is what I'm going to do: stay with the T5 HO's on my 30 gallon and bookmark this thread for reference for future builds or incase my light dies on me one day.

Lot more to speak about the bulbs you replace than a new fixture.

The bulbs I have currently are probably the best bulbs I can get for this fixture, so I already have that figured out. My main reason for not wanting to use both LEDs and T5 HO's on the same tank is that I would get really high light from that, and I'm already having a tough enough time balancing the tank on low-medium high light. I think the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 would give my tank high light on the lower end on full blast, and I could use the dimmer to get medium lighting. I don't know...lighting is much harder to decide upon than anything else that I've done for my tank. I had this T5 fixture before I started the tank as it was a gift for my community tank (what I had before the planted...it had fake plants... BARF).

As I mentioned you would run the T5 for less hours of the day but the plants would receive all the benefits.

What bulbs have you found to be the best out of curiosity.

As I mentioned you would run the T5 for less hours of the day but the plants would receive all the benefits.

What bulbs have you found to be the best out of curiosity.

They are Giesemann bulbs. One is a Powerchrome Tropic and the other one is a Powerchrome Super Flora. These are the best in my opinion.

They are Giesemann bulbs. One is a Powerchrome Tropic and the other one is a Powerchrome Super Flora. These are the best in my opinion.

I use the Giesemann AquaPink for my reef. Top 3 light company for sure. Toss up between ATI and Giesemann for #1 for me. Good choice on bulbs

Back
Top Bottom