Thinking of switching to LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been thinking of switching from my T5HO to LEDs on my 93g cube (30"x30"x24"). I'm in a bit of a toss up between a radion (might be overkill but has some cool features, I run them on all my SW tanks) or a couple of the 6700k BML units.

Does anyone have any experience with either units in a FW setting?

From my experience with led they aren't as bright and leaves the bottom fairly dark compared to my fluorescent lights. It's nice if your fish stay at the bottom at night because the light doesn't scare them as bad but bad if you have smaller plants

Keep calm and drum on

Bml are legit.. not sure where the shady bottom thing came from but it's not true.. this is the dutch at 75%

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1432652129858.jpg
    1432652129858.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 102
From my experience with led they aren't as bright and leaves the bottom fairly dark compared to my fluorescent lights. It's nice if your fish stay at the bottom at night because the light doesn't scare them as bad but bad if you have smaller plants

Keep calm and drum on

I kinda agree if you get the run of the mill cheepo LED's. The first REAL LED light I bought was the Ecoxotic full spectrum E-series and all I can say is its like having a mini sun above your tank. Stick with BML, Ecoxotic, Satellite or Finnex and you wont be sorry.

I have better success with LEDs that I EVER had with T5HOs. My experience is with:
1. Finnex Planted Plus
2. Kessil A150WE Tuna sun
3. Kessil A360WE Tuna Sun
These lights are good. Lush plant growth, pearling, etc. I have never had BMLs but forum members that have them swear by them. Don't believe the negativity on LEDs.

I appreciate the feedback everyone! I was thinking that I would go the BML lights since I've heard so many good things about them and I feel like they are more geared towards FW than the FW radions. I have some LEDs before would leave the bottom of my tanks kind of dark but I've only had this happen in the cheaper units.

That's a beautiful tank Brookster! The Dutch seems quite well balanced in showing different reds and greens. How is the shimmer aspect of the BML? Have you noticed any spotlighting from the lights or do they have a nice even spread to them?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I appreciate the feedback everyone! I was thinking that I would go the BML lights since I've heard so many good things about them and I feel like they are more geared towards FW than the FW radions. I have some LEDs before would leave the bottom of my tanks kind of dark but I've only had this happen in the cheaper units.

That's a beautiful tank Brookster! The Dutch seems quite well balanced in showing different reds and greens. How is the shimmer aspect of the BML? Have you noticed any spotlighting from the lights or do they have a nice even spread to them?

Here's a difference in colors between using Finnex Planted+ and BML Dutch 6300xb.

Finnex: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432721316.646383.jpg
BML: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432721334.729007.jpg

I love the warmer color the BML gives and my growth has been amazing with it. My tank is 28" deep and the plants on the bottom are healthy and receiving plenty of light.

I haven't noticed any spotlighting with mine, it's just a smooth even distribution.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

No real shimmer effect, or maybe I just don't notice it anymore? Spotlighting is virtually non existent despite the larger led size in the bml fixtures. I can only compare it to finnex and current fixtures though, both have far smaller led diodes. For a nice shimmer effect you could add a finnex stingray in the back. I have one on a different tank. Comes on by itself for 20 min in the morning and evening. Very nice shimmer and overall warmth on a taller tank.

I have a BML on my 24" deep tank and it lights it just fine. Smooth even distribution. No light problems at the bottom. Everyone else has said this just another vote to add.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the feedback. I'm 99% sure I'll go with the BML units, now it's just deciding when to pull the trigger :)

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via the Aquarium Advice app.

A couple more quick questions for everyone...
1) Do the BML units come with moonlights?
2) I'm thinking about the 6500k nature style units (http://www.buildmyled.com/nature-style-6500k-xb-series/), do you all think that two 30" fixtures would be enough to give me high light or would three fixtures be better? I'm personally thinking two would be fine but I wanted to check with you all who have their lights.

Thanks everyone!

They do not have moonlights. One is ample high light on a 18" wide tank so I think that 2 should be perfectly sufficient.

You can get a contoller to set a sort of moonlighting period on the tank though. More like a dusk effect. Skelly has the controller, he'd know more on fine details.

I used 4 48" 8000k white Ecoxotic stunner strips over my 80 gal. They worked great. They run cool, much lighter then all the other types I have tried. Use less power. They are a little pricy but there is no bulbs to change every 6 months. I am sold on LEDs the plants are growing beautifully.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom