This has developed over the last week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justahamm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some help. I've had this sword plant for close to three months and it's just now starting to wilt or die. Im used to the normal one or two dead leaves with new growth but this is the whole plant. I'll try to include pics. Oh and ps I just got a new light today. They (the salesman) and the box both said full spectrum but I'm not convinced.

Attachments

• image-2606737510.jpg
    image-2606737510.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image-4123281503.jpg
    image-4123281503.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3763899746.jpg
    image-3763899746.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 61
Do you fertilize at all? I've heard that swords are heavy root feeders so root tabs are a good idea.

What type of light has it been under?
Are you using root tabs? Swords are root feeders.

Yeah i use liquid fert everyday (I'm battling BBA) and I used root fert when i planted it. Do you think I need to dose the roots again?

Root tabs should get dosed about every 3 months or so. Sometimes I dose sooner if I see a problem.

The lighting has been just one t8. The old light was full spectrum and the light i just replaced it with says it's a full spectrum too. Until I started the BBA battle the light was on for prob too long, 10 to 12 hours.

Maybe just go with the root tabs for a while and stop the liquid fert. Might help with the algae problem.

Ok cool. What's the preferred brand? I use Sera Florenette A iron and mineral fertilizer

I use AquariumPlants.com Total pellets. 75 pellets for $10.99, can't beat that price.

I've seachem liquid fert but never the tabs. And ive always looked at the aquariumplants.com plants and fertz but was concerned bout quality.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll try the root tabs I have and get the same light as before. Thanks again

Justahamm said:
... And ive always looked at the aquariumplants.com plants and fertz but was concerned bout quality.

They stand behind their products and their customer service is second to none. I have called them many times before and after sale, you will always speak to a real person and they are always happy to talk and in no way have I ever felt like they were rushing me off the phone or trying to get me to buy things I don't want/need.

You can also make your own but you will need dry ferts and clay.

That's really good to know. I drove around to every pet store and lfs today looking for plants and could only find the plants in a tube at petsmart. So if I don't get plants through the forum I'll prob hit them up.

Justahamm said:
That's really good to know. I drove around to every pet store and lfs today looking for plants and could only find the plants in a tube at petsmart. So if I don't get plants through the forum I'll prob hit them up.

Careful with those tube plants. Most, if not all are non-aquatic. Take the Internet with you so you can research the plants.

Oh yeah. I've got a pretty green the and thought I'd try my luck with an aquarium. This was the first time I saw these plants and laughed about as hard as I did when I saw the Lilly bulbs for sale at walmart. I'm just curious as to how an underwater plant can survive in a tube that has no water in it. But thanks for the advice. I'm waitin on some crypt wendtii and java ferns right now. So well see how they work out and look with my sword plants.

Back
Top Bottom