Thoughts of a new filter plz...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptFred

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

New to these forums, and would like to ask you all for advice as far as getting a new filter. Just got a bigger tank - 55 Gal.

First I thought of getting an Emperor 400 but I'm leaning toward a canister. What's your advice as far as power vs canister?

Second, I've been looking at Fluval and Rena brands. What's your experience and suggestions? Should I go up a step for 55 Gal to 404/XP3 or stay at the 304/XP2 level? Any other brands that are better. Can't spend too much money but I found these filters shy of $100 at thatfishplace.com.

Maybe there are online shops that are better?

Also, should I stick with 2 x 100W heaters or 2 x 150w for the 55 Gal tank?

Thanks, Fred

i have both the fluval 404 and xp3 I have 2 404 on a 90gal with 2 10" oscars and they work great.They have been running for about a year.Plenty of space for media.The xp3 is on a 30gal with Blue rams.I have only had the xp3 for 5months and alot of space to.The 404's i got for$93 at www.bigalsonline.com .And the xp3 there to.Love them both. hth

I would go with 2 150wat heaters my old 55gal wouldnt keep a steady temp with 2 100wat so i put 2 150s on and keep the temp steady.

I second the usage of 2 heaters. If one was to stop working, you will have the second one as a backup. Plus, it gives an even temp in the tank.

We were running a Cascade 1000 on our 55 gal tank until we moved it over to the 150. They are GREAT units, very durable. Meredith can vouch for that. :wink: It's a new brand but works perfectly. They are very quiet and keep the water crystal clear. They can also be purchased from www.bigalsonline.com for I THINK $75.

Not having much experience with canisters other than an ancient Fluval, I can't comment much on those. I can say, from years of using them, that the Emp 400 is a top of the line filter and will handle a 55g tank with ease. I wouldn't even consider any other HOB type filter. JMHO.

Thanks for the advice.

Decided on a Fluval 404 and two 150W Visi-Therm Stealth. What made me decide against the E400 was it's colossal size. Hope it'll work out fine with the canister...

Also ordered some plant food. Have not had luck with plants - alive but slow growing and not-so-good-looking at best - so I will try something new. Gonna get some Pure Laterite and Leaf Zone and see if it'll help. I would just love to have a beautifully planted tank for my loaches etc to thrive in...

Thanks again, Fred

CaptFred said:
Also ordered some plant food. Have not had luck with plants - alive but slow growing and not-so-good-looking at best - so I will try something new. Gonna get some Pure Laterite and Leaf Zone and see if it'll help. I would just love to have a beautifully planted tank for my loaches etc to thrive in...

Thanks again, Fred

Fred, You might want to start thinking about CO2 for the plants. Post in the Planted Tank Section, there are quite a few members on this board who can really get you started in the right direction with plants. I received a great deal of information there and am quite pleased with my planted tank. I am still learning about plants.

Back
Top Bottom