threadfin rainbow vanished into thin air!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orlon11

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just did a small water change and all 6 of my threadfins were swimming around looking just fine. Then I went to cook dinner and now I can only see 5!

The others look happy and healthy as usual. Could he be hiding? The tank is planted and has several chunks of driftwood. If he's dead in a corner, how badly will that affect the water? It's a 29 gallon tank and the threadfins are the only thing in there for the moment,

Extra info: I only have an ammonia test kit but the results have been consistently 0 since I added the fish
Fish were added on Saturday
The filter intake is covered with a sponge so no way he's in there
There is a small opening at the back of the cover, but unless my cats ate him there's no sign of a jumper.
I'm very confused haha

I'm virtually certain I counted 6 after the water change. Although now I'm second-guessing myself. Maybe I counted a reflection? Anyways I didn't notice him when I dumped the bucket down the drain...

Check around your tank, he could have jumped out while your hood was open during the water change. If you don't find him, I would try again looking in the morning. He could just be hiding.
As a side note- are you in the process if cycling your tank? Threadfin rainbows are a very expensive choice to be the first fish introduced to an aquarium! Personally I would put hardier cheaper fish in first until you're sure the water parameters are stable.

The tank is a week old but has mature filter media and every time I check the ammonia it is still at 0 (I added some fish food at the beginning and ammonia only showed before I put the plants and media in). The threadfins were 6 for $12 so I don't think I could go much cheaper!

If he did jump out, my cats most likely ate him. Theres no body near the fish tank.

I picked them because they seem to be compatible with cherry shrimp (going to get those in a week or so, or when the weather warms up - don't want to carry them around at -20 celsius). It's strange, half the sources I've checked out say they're very hardy, the other half say they're quite delicate. I guess time will tell.

Wow that is a great deal! I've only seen them for $9 each!
You really need a test for nitrite also, because nitrite is just as toxic as ammonia is, and is the next step in the nitrogen cycle.

Back
Top Bottom