Threadfin Rainbowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweets1023

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been browsing around looking up fish and coming up with different stocking combos for a 20 gallon long. (Next year I plan to set up my 20 gallon long tank after me and my boyfriend get settled in a new place.) While I was browsing I noticed the Threadfin Rainbowfish (Iriatherina werneri). It really seems to be quite a beautiful fish. :D

I was just wondering if anyone could give any input about their experience with this fish personality, behavior etc. (I've already got its water conditions written down along with other options etc.. (I'm a planner =P)
I was also wondering if they could be put in a tank with Venezuelan Pygmy Corys (Corydoras habrosus) and Dwarf Rasboras (Boraras maculatus).

I plan to set the tank up very similar to this: tank1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

** Keep in mind I'm just browsing ideas. This tank wouldn't even begin to be set up untill next year. ** :)

That's a really nice looking tank you linked.

The fish you listed are not only compatible, but would make excellent tankmates IMO. All of them like plant cover, all are peaceful, and all of them stay small. Threadfin rainbows are beautiful but shy IME, so keeping them with smaller fish is a great idea. They can be delicate, so make sure to stay on top of water quality (which I'm sure you do anyway).

Good luck with the project!

Great :p I don't know why I've never thought of the Threadfin Rainbows before. I was watching videos of them earlier and they seem to be pretty interesting to watch, not to mention very pretty. And water quality isn't and issue for me really.. I get paranoid when it comes to the animals I take care of. I test the water in my ten gallon any where from twice a week :p.

How many of the rainbows should I keep together? I'd like to do no less than 6 dwarf rasboras, and the same for the pygmy cories. 5 or 6 Threadfins? Not entirely sure what they like their groups to be.. I know they like buddies.

great looking fish. i would say maybe even forget the rasbora and go with another type of small rainbow.
gertrudae.jpg

79.jpg

P_furcatus_GS.jpg

I wanted to stick with the dwarf rasbora to get some bright reddish orange in there. I was looking for some fish that were sort of contrasting. Plus theyr'e very tiny.. Only about an inch. I don't have much room to work with in a 20 gallon long. I wan't to get fish with very small bioloads. I don't want to over crowd to bad.

Btw what kind of rainbows are those?

oh i know what they are. the top 2 are a inch long too. i think the personalities of these are so much better then the rasboras. they will sit and flair at each other like the threadfins. wonderful fish.

What are they? I may look into them. They're really nice looking =)

not saying the others wont look good or anything but just to think about how cool these guys look and act. there are several others also.

pseudomugil gertrudae
pseudomugil signifer
pseudomugil furcatus

Not really a fan of the bottom one.. But the top one.. the Pseudomugil gertrudae is pretty.. a little bigger than the rasbora though, tops out at 1.5 .. the dwarf rasbora is .5 -1 I believe. I may still stick with the dwarf rasbora, the color stands out more IMO compared to the threadfin

dwarf rasbora 1 inch. i have them very small really need a large school of them before they look nice.

how about the ember tetras? great orange color 1 inch but the body is a little bigger easier to see in a tank. if you are set on those which is 100% find ill stop pointing out fish lol.... i just really like these small fish.

george10_ember.jpg

Nope, I just would really like an orange/reddish 1 inch schoaling fish =).. I don't know many. I do really like the Ember Tetras though. I'm always open to suggestions =D. Keep Em Commin!!

I'm also looking into fish that aren't known for being nippy. Trying to avoid that cause of the fins on the Threadfin

everything will work together i have said so far. i have them all in a tank together lol

the embers are amazing looking orange/redish by far one of my fav fish that i have right now
OthersPics_reply_61220.jpg

danio margaritatus
aaronKoo_m_galaxy.jpg

The Celestial Pearl Danios are one of my favorite fish. Those would be an option I would be willing to do as well. So.. so far its either Dwarf Rasboras, Ember Tetras, or Celestial Pearl Danios. =P There's way too many to choose from!

/Sigh.. I'd love a bigger tank. But I already have an empty 20 gallon long laying around the house from when I had a pair of African Clawed Frog (Still trying to get rid of 4 of their babies lol). I guess that works though cause I'm rather fond of little fish and for some reason I like how 20 longs look.
But anyway..

How does 5-6 Threadfin Rainbowfish (still unsure of how many I should keep together), 7 Ember Tetras/Dwarf Rasboras and 6 Venezuelan Pygmy Corys sound? All very small, and have small bioloads.

All in something very similar to tank1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

if you going planted well filtered and keep up with the water changes.... i would do like 10 embers 5 threadfins 6-8 pygmy cories.

Well I was already planning on doing weekly partial water changes, I've been told that Threadfins are a little sensitive. And I'm still looking into filters, any suggestions?

i am a big fan of aquaclear filters. i would run at least a ac50 or 2 ac 30s. plants help a lot so does weekly 50% water changes.

Back
Top Bottom