thrift store finds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
-smiles from ear to ear- I just found me a 3 gallon acrylic hex set up at the thrift store for a dollar. Gently used, but I cycled it with bleach water for a few hours then twice with lots of dechlor. Almost like new. The light still works and the air pump works, I just added my own stone. 3 gallons isn't much use but it will be good for a quarentine tank when I find the perfect tankmate for my goldfish, and since I'm in college and must bring the fish home with me over winter break I'll use this as the goldfish's temporary tank over break. It beats a ice cream bucket. Yea I'm happy. Anybody else put their local thrift store to good use or is their a general fear of unknown tanks?

I found a 10 gallon with the works (Penguin 100 HOB, lighting with the screw-in fluorescent bulbs, some sort of black sand, some rock, and a small piece of real driftwood). Cost me $10 from the local Thrift and only a few days of cleaning. :D

I once saw a very cool tank at a thrift store and I would have bought it if I had somewhere to put it or store it at the time.

It was a hex tank, about 40-50 gallons, with an integrated stand and hood made with a wicker exterior, so the whole thing looked like a.... pagoda? ....gazebo?... I don't know what to call it! The top of it was peaked like a pagoda, and the thing stood about 6' tall. It had a hex-shaped UGF and seemed to be complete. I wanted to get it just because it was SO different, but I could not at the time. If I saw it now I'd snap it up. I have no qualms about thrift store finds! :D

A Pemco stainless steel-framed tank from a thrift store got me into the hobby :) I resealed it for peace of mind (it may be older than I am) and I have cracked it while modifying it, but is still my favorite tank today and going strong. $10 including hood!

A few months later I bought a cool wood frame around a 10gal from the same thriftstore. A standard 10gal just slipped into it from the top. I had never seen such a thing before or since. It was under $15. Unfortunately someone walked off with it when I stupidly left it outside after sanding it (was going to refinish it).

The two tanks might stay my best thrift store finds ever. I sometimes wonder about the setups they have housed over the years. If you want you can see pics in my gallery or website link.

I wish I could find a good 29 gallon, I've been afraid to buy the ones I find, they are way to gross looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom