Throwing Away Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would think just cleaning the media and the inside of the filter. What filter are you using? I know with my canisters once stuff gets into it it won't come out till I clean them out.

I think you was asking about a african cichlid tank if I remember right.? If so they will be toast if this is the tank your planning on putting them in. Good luck ;) I hope this helped any

Only one or two get loose from media pad/sponge.....but many are in the filter media itself....I have a pic but site won't let me upload anymore pics

Geronica said:
Only one or two get loose from media pad/sponge.....but many are in the filter media itself....I have a pic but site won't let me upload anymore pics

Id just keep the filter clean imo replace if you don't want to mess with it. I'm not sure how else to kill the little things
Lol you need to clear your images then, you can do that by going to user co on the main site. It's better to upload photos to your profile and then copy and paste the second url box below the photo.

I would rather be able to use something to kill them instead of them lurking and reproducing....like soak media (pads) in something that will kill them or treat tank, etc...:confused:I am willing to clean my filters out (penguin 330, and the other one is the whatever came in the 55g kit years ago, both rated for use in 55g)

Andrew McFadden said:
Id just keep the filter clean imo replace if you don't want to mess with it. I'm not sure how else to kill the little things
Lol you need to clear your images then, you can do that by going to user co on the main site. It's better to upload photos to your profile and then copy and paste the second url box below the photo.

Okay when I get back I will clear things and link photo ......please be on a lookout for it.....

You could try this, I copyed and pasted the main parts then added the link. I would put some on one and see if it works first. But looks to me like its just a flea and tick med used for dogs

Fenbendazole

Fenbendazole is a medicine used to fight gastrointestinal parasites found in many animals. It is used by farmers, pet owners, aquarists, and many others to fight against parasites in their livestock. Fenbendazole is sold under some commercial names such as Panacur and Safe Guard. For more information on the drug itself please visit the Fenbendazole Wikipedia Page and also its 3dchem Page.

As a result of the shrimp death above I decided to try using Fenbendazole to rid my tank of both the Planaria and Hydra. You can buy Fenbendazole at most pet supply stores. It is a dog de-wormer sold under the brand name Safe Guard and was about $14 for four 1 gram packs. According to the package, each gram of the powder contains 222mg of Fenbendazole so 0.1gm would contain 22.2mg. Information on the web is sketchy at best for using this medication with invertebrates.

Killing Planaria and Hydra .:. Information on killing Planaria & Hydra with Fenbendazole

I would just replace that floss no biggie there. Boy I thought it was worse from what you was saying hahahahahaha. Try replacing it and seeing if they don't come back

Its in both filters all the way down in the floss in both HOB filters...so your saying to replace all the floss AT ONCE??? what about the BB? initially they were only in one HOB but now in both ...can I clean all that gunky stuff out of the filter itself too???/ I only been cycled for 1 month now

I would just replace that floss no biggie there. Boy I thought it was worse from what you was saying hahahahahaha. Try replacing it and seeing if they don't come back

:( it is so not funny...:ermm:....I do not like any bugs in the house...I do not live with visible crawling pests in my space so my fish don't want to either...and when I see one get loose into the tank it disgust me and sends me on edge....
(sorry I don't have much humor atm....I will laugh at myself later once this is over with)

Geronica said:
Its in both filters all the way down in the floss in both HOB filters...so your saying to replace all the floss AT ONCE??? what about the BB? initially they were only in one HOB but now in both ...can I clean all that gunky stuff out of the filter itself too???/ I only been cycled for 1 month now

I didn't realize you've been cycling. Are you fish in or fish out? How's the cycle going? Done, almost ? If they are only in the filter that you can see I'd try picking out what you can in one filter and wait for the cycle to be over. The other filter I'd replace the floss but leave your cartridge and pick out the rest. If you try to clean them out now with a chemical it may set you back.

If it was me I wouldn't worry about them being in the filter. It natural imo and if there is any in the tank the Cichlids will eat them and shortly after the cycle the filters will get replaced anyways.

No...I have been "DEEMED" cycled for a month now....

" I only been cycled for 1 month now"
"...and shortly after the cycle the filters will get replaced anyways." so are you saying I was suppose to rid it anyway once I was cycled?

Geronica said:
No...I have been "DEEMED" cycled for a month now....

" I only been cycled for 1 month now"
"...and shortly after the cycle the filters will get replaced anyways." so are you saying I was suppose to rid it anyway once I was cycled?

They normally, well for me get replace a couple weeks after the cycle one at a time. As long as the cycle completes and you wait a couple weeks after adding the fish replacing them a little at a time isn't going to hurt anything.

As in

I'd wait till the cycles done get the fish after a week and a half two weeks if water is testing no ammonia no nitrites I'd replace floss in one rinse the other and do your water change. At the next pwc replace the other and rinse the floss. Then at the next water change start on the other filter so on and so on.

I don't like adding anything chemically to a tank that I'm not sure what its going to do. I think what you have on the filter poses no threat to anything but an annoyance to you or I.

They normally, well for me get replace a couple weeks after the cycle one at a time. As long as the cycle completes and you wait a couple weeks after adding the fish replacing them a little at a time isn't going to hurt anything.

As in

I'd wait till the cycles done get the fish after a week and a half two weeks if water is testing no ammonia no nitrites I'd replace floss in one rinse the other and do your water change. At the next pwc replace the other and rinse the floss. Then at the next water change start on the other filter so on and so on.

I don't like adding anything chemically to a tank that I'm not sure what its going to do. I think what you have on the filter poses no threat to anything but an annoyance to you or I.

ok just did one filter...took it apart n dumped out the water that was in the filter....there were way more in th middle/bottom of floss and in filter housing unit...glad i dumped it to see it....i may end up starting over...i cant wait to do the other filter after seeing that...i will be spinning my wheels wouldn't i by waiting.....it started out being in one filter...its just going to go back and forth???

Back
Top Bottom