Tide pools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peeley

Aquarium Advice Regular
I like to collect things for my tank from the ocean. I've got two big hermit crabs from St. Augustine and assorted shallow water specimens from brackish Cedar Key (the star being my pinfish, who is better at entertaining himself and me than I expected).
Where can find some full marine tidepools that are as fruitful as Cedar Key? I would love to stumble across an octopus (though that could not go in my tank at the moment...) or other interesting creature. Being in Gainesville I'm a decent ride from any shore and I don't get many days off, so I'd like to go somewhere I can be reasonably sure is a good place to go.
Thanks.

LOL, can't really help there, I do know some folks that collect zooanthids out of tide pools in S FL, but not much up here. I think timbo2 has collected some stuff in Jax, but can't remember which.

BTW, I live in Cedar Key, next time your coming shoot me a pm, maybe we can meet.

Thanks anyway, I'll let you know the next time I come your way.
Maybe you can show me a good fishing spot! :D

I have been down to St. Aug and Matanzas Inlet and both have proven fruitful to me... I would say though, if you want some good LS, Matanzas Inlet has a high spot in the very middle, it is 100% ground up shells and stuff... There are worms and snails all in it. If you go, you have to hit it at low tide and walk out to the iddle of the inlet..... Some of the worms I found are in upwards of 2 feet long... There are Blennies, Gobies, Damsels, Groupers.. I have seen Purple, Orange, Yellow Sponges, Anemones, Stars and some Zoos.... So far I have only collected the blennies and some sand from there, oh yeah a few hermits, but I don't know exactly what is allowed for collection out there, so I go on a marine field trip if you will, and enjoy the sites....

I plan to do some digging this weekend in Panama City. I'll let you guys know if I find anything interesting...

I will be in Jax the week after, but I doubt I will be able to hit the beach there...

Long over due update... All I found of interest was a million little ex-cerinth snails taken over by white hermit crabs... Anyone know how big these things get???

Reef or Timbo?

The little white hermits that are over here, have little pink bands on the legs... I don't think they get very big though.... Mine have stayed within the same as blue leg hermits...

Back
Top Bottom