Tiger Barb issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heinrich Lourens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there.

2 days ago I noticed one of my green Tiger Barbs (3.5cm) struggling to swim. It sits nose down and it looks like it wants to float up. I can definately see that it isn't swimming normally. I don't have a hospital tank and the best I could do was to put it in a breeding box. I think it could be a swim bladder issue caused by constipation. I've lost 2 barbs in the past swimming the same way but they did not last near this long. This one's body also curves sometimes to form almost a U shape

I've fed her only de-shelled peas and put some epsom salt in the breeding box (about a fifth of a teaspoon)

I normally feed fine flakes soaked in water (so they sink) and sinking pellets which the barbs sometimes steal and eat.
Had my water tested and all is fine (no changes etc.)
Last new adittion was a week and a half ago.

All the other fish are fine and nothing out of the ordinary.

I would like to know what you guys say is wrong with it and what I can do to help.

Thanks for the help
Heinrich

PS: She has not gotten any worse or better over the 2 days

Having the same kind of problem with a panda cory. Although today his tail is gone and he seems to be swimming more?!?! Oh and he goes upside down and doesn't move :/ he's lasting so long though that I feel bad about it. No physical signs of illness apart from the swimming?

Back
Top Bottom