Tiger Barbs and ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

current516

Aquarium Advice Activist
So far 60g with 2 ottos and 2 "zebra" loaches (botia striata I think).

I plan on getting a school of 8 or 9 Tiger Barbs (2 or 3 of them green). It seems like there is no consensus on tank-mates for them. It's rather frustrating, so I thought I'd ask people who are doing it. Please share your experiences.

Keeping in mind that I'll have a school of 8 or 9 to reduce aggression toward my other fish:

-First, do you think they'll leave my ottos and loaches alone?

-Some say Gouramis are good, some don't. How about 3 pearl, gold, or Blue Gouramis?

- What about German, Gold, or Blue Rams? My wife and I love the looks of these guys, but I am afraid the Barbs will tear them up.

-Bloodfin Tetras… are they too slow? Originally I wanted Cardinal Tetras, but most people seem to agree that would be bad.

As you can see I'm looking for colorful tank-mates. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-One more thing. Does it matter wether I add the Tiger Barbs before or after their tank-mates? Which way seems safer for the other fish?

Sorry about all the questions at once. Thanks

Tiger barbs are neat, colorful, quick, little fish. They have a nasty reputation, but honestly, I think serpae tetras are far more mean and nippy. As long as you keep tigers in groups of six or more, they should be so preoccupied with each other that they won't bother anyone else.

I've kept redeye tetras, bloodfin tetras, and black phantom tetras with my tiger barbs with no problems whatsoever. The tigers completely ignored my corydoras and BN pleco, so your oto and loach should be OK too. I'm planning to get some neons or cardinals for my tiger tank - I don't expect any problems because I have so many tigers, and the tetras are so fast.

I would avoid mixing tigers with slow, long finned fish like bettas, gouramis, angels, and guppies.

-First, do you think they'll leave my ottos and loaches alone?
Yes, they won't bother them at all.

-Some say Gouramis are good, some don't. How about 3 pearl, gold, or Blue Gouramis?
Tiger barbs can be fin nippers, so if you do decide on it, keep a very close eye.

- What about German, Gold, or Blue Rams? My wife and I love the looks of these guys, but I am afraid the Barbs will tear them up.
Not a problem. Look at my signature. I have both Bolivians and German Blue Rams with my barbs. They get along just fine.

-Bloodfin Tetras… are they too slow? Originally I wanted Cardinal Tetras, but most people seem to agree that would be bad.
I think either would work, provided you get the barbs when they are small. If larger, they might not last. But if young and grow up with them, will probably be ok.

As you can see I'm looking for colorful tank-mates. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sharks, eels, any of the other larger fish and fish that can handle themselves with the barbs, but if like gouramis and angels, watch out for fin nipping.

-One more thing. Does it matter wether I add the Tiger Barbs before or after their tank-mates? Which way seems safer for the other fish?
I would say make sure the tiger barbs are young at first, and add them after the other fish. Adding them first wouldn't be bad, I just prefer myself adding them last as a personal preference.

Also, you can add cherry barbs for color too. Another idea. I have in my 55G 3 Green Tiger Barbs, 3 Albino Tiger Barbs, and 6 regular Tiger Barbs. They are so fun to watch.

Also, might want to look at getting a couple more ottos and a couple more zebra loaches, as they like to be in groups. With a 60G, I'd at least have 4-5 ottos and 3-6 loaches. I have 2 striped (zebra) loaches myself, but also have a ton of other loaches for them to play with. That would do the lower tank well. Then if you get 1 rainbow shark or 1 red tail shark, they will help with the lower tank, as they are scavangers as well.

I've had great success keeping loaches of various types with Tiger Barbs. I've also had them with Blue Gouramis (Trichogaster trichopterus) and Brilliant Rasboras (Rasbora borapetensis) without any difficulties at all (except that the male Gourami constantly harrassed the two females....but that had nothing to do with the Tiger Barbs). It was only when I added a pair of Ceylon Combtails (Belontia signata - another Asian anabantid) that problems began but it was the male Combtail that terrorized the Tiger Barbs rather than the other way around.

-Joe

Thanks all. I like what I'm hearing so far.

Lonewolfblue said:
Also, might want to look at getting a couple more ottos and a couple more zebra loaches, as they like to be in groups. With a 60G, I'd at least have 4-5 ottos and 3-6 loaches.

I will get a few more ottos, and at least one more loach. I did have 4 ottos but 2 of them died. My other 2 seem happy now and I've read it is common for ottos to be hard to acclimate. But I'm still a little worried about buying more.

My tiger barbs don't bother my blue ram, kuhli loaches, or rainbowfish. I have 6 and they are just constantly chasing each other and pretty much ignoring everyone else. They do attack me viciously during tank cleaning though so be prepared for nip, nip, nip, nip, nip.......It's freaky and hard to get used to.

talloulou said:
They do attack me viciously during tank cleaning though so be prepared for nip, nip, nip, nip, nip.......It's freaky and hard to get used to.

So do my dwarf gouramis, talloulou!

I have arulious barbs with my tiger barbs.

talloulou said:
They do attack me viciously during tank cleaning though so be prepared for nip, nip, nip, nip, nip.......It's freaky and hard to get used to.

Kinda Looking forward to it!

Lonewolfblue said:
Originally I wanted Cardinal Tetras, but most people seem to agree that would be bad.
I think either would work, provided you get the barbs when they are small. If larger, they might not last. But if young and grow up with them, will probably be ok.

How Small should the Tiger Barbs be? 1"?

I'm tempted to try Cardinals because my youngest daughter really likes them.

Back
Top Bottom