Tiger Barbs Compatiblity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I've been doing research on tiger barbs for a while now, and even though I'm getting mixed reviews on compatibility, I'm getting the sense that if they are kept in groups of seven or more, they will be relatively friendly with other fish like tetras and rasboras. Anyone have experience with this? Any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Once you have a group of tiger barbs in that range over 6 or 7, they will be much more interested in squabbling among themselves than with other fish. That doesn't mean it will ever be perfect. You're always going to hear about people saying they did it with no problem. Yeah, they had 3 tigers that were perfectly fine and they never bothered another fish. In these situations you'll never know unless you try, but I know it can be done with some degree of success.

You would be correct ... to a degree. I'll be the first to tell you that with TigerBarbs there are "no guarantees" ... But yes Keeping them in larger numbers will generally target their aggression with each other, just keep in mind, aggressive fin nipping is in their nature.

Personally, TB's do tend to get a bad rap ... Give them a 30+ gallon tank, don't put fish that'll have large flowing fins and keep them in a shoal of 6+. TB's are fine with most LFS tetras and rasboras ... Some tetras like Serpea have even been known to school with TB's.

TB's are great ... They bring a lot of energy and color .. If you go with the regular, albino, and green....Hardy, eat anything you give them and social. You'll see a lot of chasing each other, going at it for top spot of the shoal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom