"Tiger oto" insists on wedging himself in sponge filter tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I have a neurotic oto. He was sold as a "Tiger/Zebra Oto", and labeled as Otocinculus Cocama, but I'm fairly certain that's not the correct scientific name, as he looks like this and not like my other standard Zebra Otos (not my picture, but looks like my oddball):
img_3110389_0_5e0a3408cd67d9e40d174d2e90e2aeaa.jpg

I have two Hydro Sponge V filters in a 40g breeder. On the very first day I brought him home (close to 3 weeks ago) this guy swam down the upright plastic tube that the bubbles come out, and wedged himself into the grate that leads to the inside of the sponge section. I tried leaving him alone for a couple days to see if he would come out on his own, and he never moved. I worried that he would starve there, so I disconnected the plastic tube and gently pulled him out by the tail to free him, then reconnected the tube once he swam off.

Since that first time, he's now been doing this almost every single day, sometimes multiple times a day. I have one other oto like him in the tank, as well as 3 standard Zebra Otos that I just added last night. None of them have shown any interest in the sponge filters other than to sit on top of the sponges. There is ample algae for him to eat, as well as plenty of hidey holes. He doesn't even go down the tube of the other sponge filter, just the same one over and over.

Any recommendations on what to do? I've never seen such a determined fish :blink:

That is an odd thing.

I would get a new tube to replace that one he likes, and replace it but maybe zip tie the other one next to it so he can swim in and out through the openings. maybe that would make him happy, to have the one he likes but open so you don't worry about him. Maybe a stem plant or 2 or 3, lol, stems next to it to provide some cover, or include a chunk of artificial plant in the zip tie to make it seem more private for him.

Block it off. They like the good stuff that builds up in that high flow area.. i had a pleco do this a couple times..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Block it off. They like the good stuff that builds up in that high flow area.. i had a pleco do this a couple times..

What's the best thing to block it off with? Just stuff a sponge down there? This is my first experience with sponge filters, so I'm not as familiar with exactly how you can modify them without hurting their efficiency.

How bout this?

Attachments

• 1418249770769.jpg
    1418249770769.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 89
You could put some plastic canvas over it. I would slip it right over where the hose connects to the sponge. It will keep him from getting stuck, won't restrict water or air flow, and will still let him such the delicious goo from the inside of the lift tube.

Back
Top Bottom