tightest schoolers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
In ur guys opinion wut is the tightest schooling fish for a community tank... I love schools that always move as one any ideas would be appreciated

Also r there any fish that'll school with other species or sub species?

Fish will only tightly school when threatened by a predator..... this actually means that the fish are stressed.... not a good thing.

From my own experience, species that loosely school are rummynose tetras and white cloud mountain minnows. In fact, those two species school together in my tank.

LyndaB said:
Fish will only tightly school when threatened by a predator..... this actually means that the fish are stressed.... not a good thing.

From my own experience, species that loosely school are rummynose tetras and white cloud mountain minnows. In fact, those two species school together in my tank.

Do u have any lrg or aggressive fish to make them do so or no... I was thinking about 2 schools and a pair of rams

Personally, I would never intentionally stock a species that would frighten the other ones in the tank. That's not what fishkeeping is about, in my opinion.

LyndaB said:
Personally, I would never intentionally stock a species that would frighten the other ones in the tank. That's not what fishkeeping is about, in my opinion.

I understand stressing the fish can lead to many problems but wouldn't that be natural to them... in the wild they r bottom of the food chain and most schooling tanks I've seen usually has one or two dominant fish... I respect ur opinion and advice I'm just curious, better to ask first then afterwards haha

I understand stressing the fish can lead to many problems but wouldn't that be natural to them...

Do you want to have to deal with stress related illnesses and deaths? Whether you decide that's your preference for a community tank is entirely up to you.

When I stock a community, I always do lots of research on the compatibility of the species prior to stocking. I have always been careful to stock peaceful with peaceful, semi-aggressive with semi-aggressive and so on. This has provided me with healthy tanks that require little maintenance.

LyndaB said:
Do you want to have to deal with stress related illnesses and deaths? Whether you decide that's your preference for a community tank is entirely up to you.

When I stock a community, I always do lots of research on the compatibility of the species prior to stocking. I have always been careful to stock peaceful with peaceful, semi-aggressive with semi-aggressive and so on. This has provided me with healthy tanks that require little maintenance.

I get that and I want Wuts best for the tank but my question is that everyone says for a healthy tank u mimic there natural habitat as closely as possible so from wut i would think, as long as I don't have a fish that actively hunts them just has a presence in the tank wouldn't that be natural to them without overly stressing them

I don't believe that they were talking about adding predators when they said to mimic the environment. That usually refers to how you should set up the tank itself.

You already know my opinion. :)

Hopefully, others will chime in.

And "if" I decide to do a community schooling tank I plan on my school being the main focus with 15+ schoolers so wouldn't that really help with stress having a lrg school

Let me put it this way. I watched my rainbow shark take out an entire school of danios. So, in my experience, yes, there should be safety in numbers but apparently it's not a foolproof design.

Bloodfin tetras school well. Mine school most of the time, even when I am in another room looking in. I have no large fish besides a little plec that hides during the day. They do break apart sometimes but stay relatively close together.

My 55gal stock:

9 Bloodfin Tetras
5 Cardinal Tetras
1 White Cloud Minnow
1 Sail fin Pleco (4-5")

They will school if I walk by the tank.

My glowlight tetras never leave eachothers side. They are always swimming around together. In my opinion this isnt because they are scared or intimidated my any other fish in my tank, but its because they are just all very good friends i guess..

My harlequin rasboras school very nicely during and after a water change. Lol! they soon chill out and find there own space tho. I tried to combat it by adding some cherry barbs, but they all just hang out together lol not a bad thing I suppose theyre all friends 

I have three hastatus corys ( similar to pigmy) and they are Neva more than 1/2 inch from each other. They often go and follow other fish as a team!!

Also a group of corydoras (any type) will be pleasing to watch as they'll interact and play with each other

My rummies usually school pretty close, but sometimes they just sort of go their own way for a few minutes, then all meet up again and exchange fish gossip about all their tankmates (well, maybe that last part is just in my head...)

NoFishingAllowed said:
The neons school together well.

What size tank?

Haven't decided yet wanna get a stock list first then ill get the appropriate tank

Back
Top Bottom