Time for a change... Livebearer to Cichlid Tank Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's going to be a lot of blue. If it was me I'd increase the yellow labs and leave one of the blue dudes out to balance it out

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's going to be a lot of blue. If it was me I'd increase the yellow labs and leave one of the blue dudes out to balance it out

I thought with them being ice blue it might be some contrast? What do you suggest instead of more yellow labs?

More yellow labs lol

Blue is blue either way They all look close to the same in the tank especially when looking from the chair on the other side of the room. The labs yellow will brighten up the tank with the yellow. There isn't much more that has bright colors that will work with the story cc k you have. You can try
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_flavus.php

I think yellow labs is my o lay option really lol

Think I could have some sunburst peacock to use the open space in my tank?

I read a few posts not many. I don't agree with adding them at all once, even in an established tank. It will effect the bio load, I'd recommend adding two or three at a time separated by a few days. You can totally add all at once, just test your water daily afterwards for ammonia spikes and the nitrite spikes. Be ready to do water changes.

Demasoni suck in my experience. They don't know their size and will pick fights with even large fish. In a group of 8 or so they calm down, but ya the can give fish hell, tearing off fins. Some other fish I would recommend.
Pseudotropheus socolofi or albino socolofi ( all white, really pretty)
Hongi island
White top (Or various) Afra's
Like the set up. Your going to love cichlids. Very personable, emotional fish. You can tell when they're happy, when they're pissed, and sometimes even when they're sad.
Good luck

I read a few posts not many. I don't agree with adding them at all once, even in an established tank. It will effect the bio load, I'd recommend adding two or three at a time separated by a few days. You can totally add all at once, just test your water daily afterwards for ammonia spikes and the nitrite spikes. Be ready to do water changes.

Demasoni suck in my experience. They don't know their size and will pick fights with even large fish. In a group of 8 or so they calm down, but ya the can give fish hell, tearing off fins. Some other fish I would recommend.
Pseudotropheus socolofi or albino socolofi ( all white, really pretty)
Hongi island
White top (Or various) Afra's
Like the set up. Your going to love cichlids. Very personable, emotional fish. You can tell when they're happy, when they're pissed, and sometimes even when they're sad.
Good luck

Currently my water tests are spot on, PH is at 7.6 but i know that cichlids dont like frequent ph changes so id rather stick to my natural ph in my tap water.

I like your type of suggested species, i will look into them and do some research over the next few days.

:thanks:

Currently my water tests are spot on, PH is at 7.6 but i know that cichlids dont like frequent ph changes so id rather stick to my natural ph in my tap water.

I like your type of suggested species, i will look into them and do some research over the next few days.

:thanks:

I have never used anything to buffer or change the Ph. (Other than the Sahara Cichlid sand substrate) my tap water PH is about 7.8-7.9 usually, so it's ok. 7.6 is perfect. I tell people that all the time when they're thinking of doing fish, test your tap water and see what it's like, and that will help you choose with fish. We do really well with cichlids in Utah because the water is hard and alkaline.

How is 7.6 perfect for cichlids from the rift lakes? The water ranges from7.7 to 8.6 and many prefer the higher end of that range. Using crushed coral in your filter will help, as well as using limestone like texas holey rock

I live in england and the aquarists around these parts keep cichlids between 7.4 and 8.2 but we dont allow the constant change of ph as people have had incidents which the fish didnt like the change and started to die off. If holey rock/limestone/crushed coral can permanently increase my ph then im all for it.

Thanks.

Update :) Really happy with these fish, adding 4 Estherae to add orange to my tank as i will have 1male3female maybe 4.

What you think on my tank now?

Rockery is against my glass and they is no way it can move. Solid. I will however have a new aquascape once i and the fish become bored.

Attachments

• Tank Shoal.jpg
    Tank Shoal.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Male Maingano F1 Say Cheese!.jpg
    Male Maingano F1 Say Cheese!.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Close Tank Shot.jpg
    Close Tank Shot.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Male Maingano F1.jpg
    Male Maingano F1.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 80
I thought that maybe the case. Currently I have two externals with one having a spray bar and venturi pipe which does well but with two power heads aiming at my intake pipes surely will improve things, correct? What would I use power heads or wave makers?

Upgrade is in progress guys. Purchased a 5x2x2 today. Started the structure for my cabinet too :) I will add some images when things start to take shape.

Just an update on my species in my tank at the moment :)

Attachments

• 1398961547096.jpg
    1398961547096.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 1398961567863.jpg
    1398961567863.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 70
How things have changed in the past year and how many tanks I have gone through. 5x2x2 cost me £20 for the tank and then built my stand and hood :) Here is some latest pictures. Comments and questions welcomed!

Attachments

• 1406559290021.jpg
    1406559290021.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 43
  • 1406559346597.jpg
    1406559346597.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 1406559369143.jpg
    1406559369143.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 1406559406550.jpg
    1406559406550.jpg