Time needed to seed and aquarium with old filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just put a 155 gallon pond in outside, and would like to get it cycled. If I take used from dirty filter media from my 55 gallon community, how long can I expect it to take until the pond is completely cycled?

I know people are against this, but here it goes. I started my cycle on my new tank by using media I had from my canister filter. I put two fish in to use their waste as the ammonia source. I have been testing daily, and have not seen any rise in parameters, at all.

It all depends on how you balance it. If no fish or ammonia source in 155 gal, then the seeded bacteria will die after certain weeks.

Well, in a sense the pond will be "cycled" as soon as you put the media in, just for a much lower bioload than you probably intend. So if you took out 20% of the filter media you'd probably be completely cycled for something like 15% of the bioload in the 55 gallon (a guess), assuming the change in water temp/chemistry doesn't kill off too many. The bacteria would then be playing catch up for any fish waste beyond that.

I don't think I'd pull more than 20% of the filter media at a time, and even with that I'd be sure to replace it with fresh media and monitor water parameters in case of a mini-cycle in the established tank.

If the fish you're putting in are much smaller than the expected adult size even that may be enough to keep from having an ammonia spike, but I think it's more likely you'd want to add a smaller initial batch of fish to the pond and then keep adding more until you reach final stocking.

Add the media and add the fish (just a few or one bigger one).You will bw fine in the pond but test to be sure of course.

Sidi makes a somewhat valid point imo.BUT if you are running an HOB filter as opposed to a large canister imo you are fine to remove 100% of the media.

Even a canister with heaps of media would allow for 50% imo.

Just test em both daily and change water when (really "if") needed for spikes.I think each will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom