Time to upgrade to a bigger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManiacMagoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last year I bought a 55g starter tank to get back into ciclids and fish tanks in general. I have 2 Jack Dempsies, a convict, and some big ugly catfish the pet store told me would be good at cleaning but is worthless :lol: . Well I'm looking at getting a 100-150g tank but have a few concerns. The biggest is being in the military we move every couple years or so. I've been wanting to setup a live plant tank with ciclids but don't want to waiste time if long moves are going to kill the plants.

Moving wise I have a power inverter in my truck that I could plug my tank into and run when we move. So I'm looking for some help on deciding on filtration, lighting, and plants for my new tank that would handle the stress. Heck I might even go with a bigger tank then 150g. I'm just trying to get some options ready for when I buy it in august when we move.

Well, I don't think the move would kill your plants, but the cichlids sure would. :p I got tired of trying plants in my SA/CA tank as it just became an expensive salad bar after a while. I mean, you could always try, but don't spend too much on plants. If your fish don't just shred them they will probably at least dig them up. If you want to try it, java ferns and anubias are very tough plants and only require low light.

You can't really run a tank as you are moving it because it is highly advised that you empty the tank before you move it. Any water left will cause a lot of stress on the seals and could cause a leak. The easiest way to move fish is to put them in Rubbermaid containers or something like that, and save some of your tankwater. Since you have a power inverter in your truck, would it be possible to plug in an air pump and possibly a heater? Fish will be fine for a few hours with no filter running but aeration and stable temp will help.

As far as filtration, go for 2 canisters if you can afford it. They are the best even though you get a lower flow rate than with HOBs. I'm not sure which models to recommend, but I use Fluval and Rena Filstar and I like them both. Basically shoot for the most gph you can find.

I just found a new shop tonight and they had a Fluval 304 marked %30 off so I stuck that on my 55g to help with maintenance alittle. Plus this way the media will be setup when I go to setup my new tank.

As for the inverter, I planned on running my heater and a airator pump to help them since my trip will be most likely a few states away. Normally I use a cooler for the insulation to help keep the heat in. Then I wrap it with acouple of comforters and a tarp to help insulate and absorb some of the shocks of the road. They have survived a 8 hour move this way minus having a heater and pump.

Now I just need to decide how big I want to go for my new tank since I want to add some more fish. I know they love shredding plants. My last tank we just weighted or tied them down. They lasted until I sold the tank that way.

Ok so I'm going to be getting a 165g bow front tank. Now I need help with what should I put in it live plant wise. Yes I know my dempsies will pick at them but my mom has had success with hers back when she had it. I,m thinking of going to a sand base instead of gravel. I have the fluval 304 now and will get another bigger filter when I get it setup. I need some info on lighting for it. I want my plants to live and don't know how much lights I should I run. What else would I need to make the tank as effiecient as possible? Also I will putting my ciclids in a different tank for them and going to get some different fish for this one.

As far as lighting concerns and such for plants, the Planted Tanks forum people can help you with all of that. There's also quite a few stickies in there!

Back
Top Bottom