Timmy our runt molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tamlet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of our mollies purchased with all the others hasn't grown swims with his nose pointing up so seems unbalanced. And rests on various items and the sand regularly. Doesn't seem to have anything visible wrong and eats and seems quite happy. Is it likely that he may grow or it's a genetic problem.

Attachments

• image-297259652.jpg
    image-297259652.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 160
TIIIMMMAAYYYY!

I actually have a runt Kribensis of my own. He has only half of his caudal fin. Other than that small handicap he has no other issues and is perfectly healthy, just swims a little awkwardly! We named him Elvis.
Getting to your point though it could be genetic..if he's eating and seems happy, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks! We r new to aquariums so were unsure what was best for him.

We did consider a small aquatic wheelchair but he seems to cope ok without!

If he's happy and healthy and seems to be living a normalish life I'd wouldn't worry. I have a deformed peppered cory.

image-1193452824.jpg

He has a flat face, odd mouth and longer pointed fins. He's perfectly healthy in every way just looks different.

I don't think an aquatic wheelchair is necessary, but maybe tiny fish crutches would help him swim better.
Its probably genetic, but as long as he is swimming, its probably fine. :) No guarantees about whether or not he will grow. But, as long as he is getting food and given the chance to grow (which it sounds like he is), then you can just wait and see what happens. I have gotten a couple of runt platies before but they still lived normal lives. :)

Back
Top Bottom