Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No review given, just the link. I was planning to do an AI Sol mod like convict, and still may, but this seems to. E about half the price and if I can find some good feedback, I'll probably give it a shot.

TLTGF said:
No review given, just the link. I was planning to do an AI Sol mod like convict, and still may, but this seems to. E about half the price and if I can find some good feedback, I'll probably give it a shot.

If they are capable of sustaining corals go for it!

With those drivers and the amount of LEDs, you should be good to go. I have similar setup (from 2008 ) but I have 30 LEDs witch is a no no by today's standards. I would prefer to build my own. Plus, my wife, wanted the hood to stay stock. So I went with DIY.
I would ask for a color ratio that is similar to 20 k. Mine is between 12 to 14 k and it's a little whiter than I would like.
And you would be able to grow any coral you wanted.

Last edited:
The more I look now, I'm thinking I could do a DIY on my own for cheaper, probably look into that soon.

Where have you been looking I was thinking of doing a DIY led light but can't find a good website to give me solid info

I was thinking about RapidLED. There is a lot of info about the BC, and how to DIY. I just googled and read bunches of threads.

Just went on there website and wow not to pricy at all.... And all the instructions seem very easy to follow.... But what I am looking for is one that is big enough to cover my 55 gallon tank but I don't know if there big kit is big enough.... It dose come with 48 LEDs but is that enough for a 48 inch tank

rob_mango said:
Just went on there website and wow not to pricy at all.... And all the instructions seem very easy to follow.... But what I am looking for is one that is big enough to cover my 55 gallon tank but I don't know if there big kit is big enough.... It dose come with 48 LEDs but is that enough for a 48 inch tank

How about 2 dimmable fixtures from eBay?

Agreed. With an open tank like that, I would be inclined to go with two of the dimming-type TaoTronics fixtures - very inexpensive, good reviews, and decent looking.

Only reasons I'm even thinking about DIY are that it's cheap and it won't be seen.

I'm still not even 100% I'm going LED. If I can sustain my macro's, softies, and zoos with stock lighting, I'll save the $275 + controller and use it somewhere else.

I did look at them on eBay and I did like them... But there is also a company I found online called reeflight.com that is based out of Mesa Arizona but not able to find any reviews on them other then the ones on there website.... I want to try to find a 3rd party review on them.

rob_mango said:
I did look at them on eBay and I did like them... But there is also a company I found online called reeflight.com that is based out of Mesa Arizona but not able to find any reviews on them other then the ones on there website.... I want to try to find a 3rd party review on them.

I know a guy that uses them on his tanks for selling coral. He has sps and everything else under them. He also uses one unit on his 120 with clams and sps coral. The same guy I was telling you about with the angler in QC.

jjamontan said:
I know a guy that uses them on his tanks for selling coral. He has sps and everything else under them. He also uses one unit on his 120 with clams and sps coral. The same guy I was telling you about with the angler in QC.

That guy has the reeflight.com lights on his sps tank

Notes for the day:

Need to buy 3 -> 2 prong grounding adaptors as my timers are only two prong.

The purigen / chemipure / floss has the BC water so clear its scary - tank looks empty.

The blue green chromis is the fastest fish on the planet, and I can not catch it to save my life :)

TLTGF said:
Notes for the day:

Need to buy 3 -> 2 prong grounding adaptors as my timers are only two prong.

The purigen / chemipure / floss has the BC water so clear its scary - tank looks empty.

The blue green chromis is the fastest fish on the planet, and I can not catch it to save my life :)

Lol. Good luck. I have to catch one today as well as my angler seems to have no interest in the peppermint shrimp in the tank.

I read this and laughed. When i was out buying fish yesterday i saw a dwarf lionfish at petco. I was totally thinking that i wouldnt have to remove anything from my 36 witj him...lol

Back
Top Bottom