Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Found an added benefit to the skimmer silencer. Since the output is now submerged the back-pressure stays the same. The water level fluctuations from evaporation no longer matter and I'm getting a far more consistent skimmate.

Just got my aqua-mag jr. Can't really give much of a write-up.

Basically, it's made out of very light material, plaster-like. The magnet sits flush to the glass, so no gap or anything. The material is very fragile and easy to break in your hand.

The one thing I'm weary about is that the one magnet holding the rock is in the center allowing for the rock to spin on a fulcrum. Center of gravity is pretty neutral.

It's a bit bigger than I expected. I haven't figured out placement yet. And I'm hoping it turns purple fast! Looks crazy white now.

Pics to come - I'm over my quota.

Beautiful!
Working overseas isn't so bad, but it took me 10 years to get back into aquatics. Since I finally landed a more stable job I decided to put one in my office.
Would still love to set something like this at home.

This makes me sad...

From the pictures it appears there is a small shark, mandarin, clown, dottyback, and a few damsels in this 10 gallon prison.

So... I just checked out mrcoral and found a few deals they had. Never used them before, but I had heard good things. Ended up with 19 or 20 SPS and LPS frags!

I really need to get a frag rack made up quick!

TLTGF said:
So... I just checked out mrcoral and found a few deals they had. Never used them before, but I had heard good things. Ended up with 19 or 20 SPS and LPS frags!

I really need to get a frag rack made up quick!

CANCEL IT!! I've been there before (hour drive for me) and their coral are freshly cut i.e they don't give the cut part time to heal so it'll die within a week or two from the stress of being transported. I bought 5 frags and all I have left are frag plugs and skeletons. Maybe 4 or 5 out of 20 frags will survive. You can read reviews online too. Maybe LPS will survive but SPS will be bleached and the skeleton will be showing by the time you get your package.

It was $150 shipped. I got all but (1) from the $10 section, (1) was $20, and then I got (6) free. Every $25 you spend you get to pick a free SPS, LPS, Zoa, or Mushroom. Those are mystery corals though, you don't really know what you'll get for the free ones. The others were all WYSIWYG.

I believe they only ship Monday - Wednesday, so I'll most likely get it Monday or Tuesday. I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes.

I'm thinking about just making a Frag tank out of a 10 gallon I used for QT - No medications used. I still have my (4) bulb fixture, and I'm assuming it'll support most SPS frags if its sitting 4" under the light on a eggcrate frag rack. If not, I'll transfer the ones I want to keep into the 54, and take the rest to the LFS.

They need some good SPS frags anyway! I didn't plan to keep all (20), I just figured I'd keep the ones that look to best to me, and take the rest in for credit. I'm sure they will give me more than $7 per frag.

Back
Top Bottom