Tip/ Trick of the day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
The purpose of this thread is for all of us to contribute some form of advice each day. There's no limit as to how many members can provide a tip or trick. However, a single member may not contribute more than once a day.

Tip: If you want to keep floating plants with goldfish, use a species that grows quickly or your goldfish may eat the roots.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tip: Never add a fish thinking it will completely eliminate your algae problem or feed on fecal matter.

Don't add more fish than your bioload can handle. Allow time for it to adjust to new additions or there could be very adverse effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Learn all the why's and wherefores concerning the biological process' involved and how/what is needed, then use your intelligence, imagination and common sense rather than just blindly following others advice. There are no rules written in stone.
You will have much better success in the long run and a more fulfilling experience. ;)

Don't over feed. Remove any uneaten food to keep parameters in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Never buy a fish unless you have done research on it. I definitely made this in my early years :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Enter the hobby with a goal and be committed.

Water test kit (liquid based) - so useful. Establish a baseline for your tank and change water. Monitor as needed or if anything changes in the tank :)

Tip for using Eheim Quick Vac Pro

There is a way use this vacuum cleaner to pick up more detritus and reduce cloudiness in your tank. The normal problem when using your Eheim vac is that you have fine particles getting past the mesh screen thereby causing cloudiness in your tank.

By grabbing two standard sized sheets of kitchen paper towels, like Brawny or whatever. Wrap it tightly around the mesh basket area of the vacuum. Then, bind it with three rubber bands with two on the ends and one in the middle.

You should be set.

I was able to solidly fill my basket up with the detritus and muck from my dirty, dirty gravel bed. It was the first time that I was able to do this. This will change your mind about this vacuum cleaner.

So, if you have one of these Eheim Quick Vac Pros, give it a try.

ndcpix.com

Please watch my video: The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus) under the forum Show Off/Photography.

Last edited:
Be patient and stay calm. Don't stress out because chances are you will panic and do something drastic, hence hurting or killing your fish.

Sent from

Don't do anything I did the first month I kept fish. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't forget to cycle your tank- either with or without fish in(preferably without).

When raising fry, stay on top of your water changes.

^had to learn that the hard way.

Always add dechlorinator to new water during a water change if you use tap water.

If you have any Cory catfish, do not but a shell that they can fit in into the tank.
Because they will explore the inside of the shell and get stuck. Happens to me twice they don't live when that happens

Back
Top Bottom