Tired of being a slum lord...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good news! It's getting greener!!!
I've also hopefully solved the problem :)
d41a6ce1653072e50cdbdfcab79768cf.jpg
3a8611bd5fa524da5466045eb49d4111.jpg

The working pressure gauge does not look right. The tank pressure gauge (left one) looks fine at ~900 psi. However, the gauge on the right should be set at 20-40 psi (which is fine for most diffusers). It looks like it is well over 140 psi or broken.
I run mine at 30-40 psi at 1-2 bps for a single diffuser for 5-6 hours (on a timer). At 3-4 bps the drop checker was yellow and this would persist for several hours into the night. I have fish in my tank so excess CO2 is a concern.
You may want to adjust the big knob and bring the working pressure down. Next, close the fine knob and slowly increase until you get the desired bubble count per second.
You should get a timer and have the solenoid come on an hour before lights on and go off at least an hour before lights out.

The working pressure gauge does not look right. The tank pressure gauge (left one) looks fine at ~900 psi. However, the gauge on the right should be set at 20-40 psi (which is fine for most diffusers). It looks like it is well over 140 psi or broken.
I run mine at 30-40 psi at 1-2 bps for a single diffuser for 5-6 hours (on a timer). At 3-4 bps the drop checker was yellow and this would persist for several hours into the night. I have fish in my tank so excess CO2 is a concern.
You may want to adjust the big knob and bring the working pressure down. Next, close the fine knob and slowly increase until you get the desired bubble count per second.
You should get a timer and have the solenoid come on an hour before lights on and go off at least an hour before lights out.

Ahh I did not know that. I will have to tinker with it tonight and set the right pressures. I will say, the color is green for sure, but the BMS are cranked up WAY beyond any countable amount as you can see in the picture. I must say tho, the DBT are growing pretty quickly.

Ahh I did not know that. I will have to tinker with it tonight and set the right pressures. I will say, the color is green for sure, but the BMS are cranked up WAY beyond any countable amount as you can see in the picture. I must say tho, the DBT are growing pretty quickly.

Yea your bubble count shouldn't need to be that high, I recon 2 bubbles a second would be close to hitting the mark if working pressure is at 30 psi. You'd almost get it down to 1 bps with a canister and a reactor ;) once you make the jump to the 75g you'll need a reactor and a canister for sure [emoji106]

Yea your bubble count shouldn't need to be that high, I recon 2 bubbles a second would be close to hitting the mark if working pressure is at 30 psi. You'd almost get it down to 1 bps with a canister and a reactor ;) once you make the jump to the 75g you'll need a reactor and a canister for sure [emoji106]

Yea I was just trying to over saturate it to start but I am sure it is just SOO high now that it is being wasted at the surface. I will it back down to 2 BPS and get that pressure changed. TBH I don't see how the PSI would make a difference aside from putting unnecessary pressure on the needle valve. Either way it doesn't matter I will get it fixed because it might as well be done right (y)

I can't WAIT to get a 75g some day! I want to eventually get a canister filter for this tank anyway so I can have a reactor.

Yea I was just trying to over saturate it to start but I am sure it is just SOO high now that it is being wasted at the surface. I will it back down to 2 BPS and get that pressure changed. TBH I don't see how the PSI would make a difference aside from putting unnecessary pressure on the needle valve. Either way it doesn't matter I will get it fixed because it might as well be done right (y)

I can't WAIT to get a 75g some day! I want to eventually get a canister filter for this tank anyway so I can have a reactor.

Sounds good [emoji106] once u have a reactor I promise you'll never have anything different ;) they are by far the best for co2 diffusion.

I've tried both Griggs and cerges reactor (DIY) and they both work extremely well.

Personally I like the cerges as its easy to clean and you can see what's happening inside [emoji106]

Good news!!! It's green!

And the plants age growing fantastic!

I can't lower the pressure on the regulator. The needle valve lowers the pressure easily down to like 1 bubble per 10 seconds.

Now that it's the right color I've turned it down to 2 BPS and I'll see how it is in 48 hours.
fe75c6e53ad035a35a927870831a0524.jpg
917d7a8e63066b4354ae38403ff38b60.jpg

Good news!!! It's green!

And the plants age growing fantastic!

I can't lower the pressure on the regulator. The needle valve lowers the pressure easily down to like 1 bubble per 10 seconds.

Now that it's the right color I've turned it down to 2 BPS and I'll see how it is in 48 hours.
fe75c6e53ad035a35a927870831a0524.jpg
917d7a8e63066b4354ae38403ff38b60.jpg

The big black knob didn't drop the pressure? You need to release the back pressure through the needle valve after its adjusted? Maybe the gauge is broken then lol id be worried about running that kind of pressure just incase something broke lol at 160 it would almost blow the bottle over

Eh, it's only at 55-60, and it didn't seem to help really at all. Maybe I'll try messing around with it again tonight

I would open the needle valve all the way and then turn the big black knob until the valve is closed (which it should be when changing tanks to avoid blowing out the regulator when hooking up a new tank). After a while the excess pressure should drop and then you can adjust it to 10-40 psi (whatever is needed to operate the diffuser).
The high pressure would explain why the diffuser kept popping off.

I would open the needle valve all the way and then turn the big black knob until the valve is closed (which it should be when changing tanks to avoid blowing out the regulator when hooking up a new tank). After a while the excess pressure should drop and then you can adjust it to 10-40 psi (whatever is needed to operate the diffuser).
The high pressure would explain why the diffuser kept popping off.
Even with the bubble counter at just 1-2 BPS?

I guess what I'm not getting is, if there was more pressure wouldn't more CO2 be pushed through?

I guess what I'm not getting is, if there was more pressure wouldn't more CO2 be pushed through?

Depends on the operating psi of the diffuser and the BPS. Let's say that the minimum psi for the diffuser you are using is 25. Setting the working psi at 20 won't do much good (assuming the needle valve is open). Setting it to 25-30 psi should allow gas to flow through. Increasing the working psi will increase the BPS assuming the needle valve has not been adjusted. So, to answer your question, yes. However, there comes a point at which an increased psi will exceed what the connectors can handle (e.g. - between the tubing and diffuser).
At some point I will be getting around to use a CO2 reactor. CO2 is introduced into the device as whole bubbles and these can be operated at a much lower psi.

Oh Noes!!! What is wrong with my plants!!! They are melting it looks like!

2j4zuhc.jpg

5xvlar.jpg

Also
ok3cx3.jpg

2qjvrc4.jpg

262y7gg.jpg

And on this one, know its hard to see but is that hair algae in just about the middle of the picture?
16j08jb.jpg

And how do I keep this little fella from dying?!?! What is on it?!?!?!?
166gqk3.jpg

Is it possible that I am not giving it enough light? It does get some indirect sunlight because it is near a window but none directly.

Depends on the operating psi of the diffuser and the BPS. Let's say that the minimum psi for the diffuser you are using is 25. Setting the working psi at 20 won't do much good (assuming the needle valve is open). Setting it to 25-30 psi should allow gas to flow through. Increasing the working psi will increase the BPS assuming the needle valve has not been adjusted. So, to answer your question, yes. However, there comes a point at which an increased psi will exceed what the connectors can handle (e.g. - between the tubing and diffuser).
At some point I will be getting around to use a CO2 reactor. CO2 is introduced into the device as whole bubbles and these can be operated at a much lower psi.

BTW, I have turned the black valve/knob on the front down to nothing and I am going to see if I can get it down to around 20-30. Might take a while to use up the pressure but that's ok :) I am holding steady at a nice light greenish yellow.

I do eventually want to get a reaction chamber but I think once I have a canister filter but unless I win big in Vegas :brows::lol: next month it will be a while before I have the $ for it.

I have not added the ferts yet today since I am having the issues. I am very concerned about them. I spent a lot of time and $ on them I don't want them to die, plus the wife might kill me lol. I was hoping to spread some more of the DBT around today but I an worried about it dying. Even the 1 piece i replanted alone grew fantastic and now seems to be melting :-(

If you would list the make and model of your light fixture, then hopefully the light output can be determined.
I would NOT hold off on the fertilizers. There needs to be a balance between lights, CO2, and fertilizers for proper growth. More light, then more is needed of the other two. Deficiencies in either one can lead to poor growth. Conversely, less light, then less demand for CO2 and fertilizers.
From what I see, decay is setting in on some of the older leaves. I believe that in times of stress that resources are channeled towards the newer growth and the older leaves suffer. The melt can be from drastic changes in light, temperature, CO2, and fertilizers.
As for plants, they should not cost an arm and a leg. This is a great community for sharing/selling/buying plants. There are good deals to be had from time to time. Check in the classifieds.

Back
Top Bottom