To be emersed, or submersed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betowess

Aquarium Advice Freak
Often some of the plants sold to retail aquarium stores have been grown emersed. After they arrive at the retail outlet , the store will submerge the plants. People will buy a plant which looks great and a few weeks later it has changed tremendously or more likely is dead or dying.

Beware, because sometimes what you see is not what you get. And its not all your fault, but rather the busy store's oversight, indifference, or ignorance. I luckily had a knowledgeable lfs employee steer me away from such a plant once, though I am sure plenty of other suckers were not so lucky. But I will trust that fellow for ever. :roll:

That stinks,

I spose they are grown emersed in the warehouses or wherever because it's cheaper and takes less space.

Wait....... you don't suppose that the growers don't have the customer's best interests in mind, and not just profit?? 8O

LOL........sigh.......

Thanks for the kool info man.

There are several reason plants are grown emersed in the farms in Florida.

One, plants with leaves in the air draw CO2 from the air not the water.
Concentration of CO2 is greater in the air thus plants grow faster.

Two, Leaves in the air, not the water= less algae on the leaves.

Three, many plants will flower only if emersed, thus propagation is eaiser.

The plants here for the most part are grown submersed, if grown emersed, I tell the buyer when they inquire about them.

best,
dino

many 'true aquatic' plants will also acclimate to growing underwater again, and after an inital die off / transformation will come back to looking very nice and quite different.

if you think a plant has died, but it's a rhizome plant, leave it for a while, it may come back to suprise you.

How do you get a plant to grow emmersed? I'd like to try it, but most plants I buy just flatten out at the surface of the water, rather than growing up into the air.

-J

So, to grow them immersed, you'd have to have the tank uncovered and lights suspended above, right? How much more evaporation would you have like that? Would you have to top off every day?

That's the setup I have now, on a 70g. I don't get a whole lot of evaporation, but I use an auto-top off I made out of a toilet float valve anyways. (pics in my gallery)

-J

Back
Top Bottom