to BIG of filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_may

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Bought a tank with filter but filter seemed weak... upgraded to a new system.. a filter made for up to a 90 gallon tank. Water moving a lot better but fish seem a little freaked out. Did I do an overkill? ??

The current may be faster. Did you take the old filter off? If so then you made the tank do a cycle unless you put old filter media in the new filter.

My tank is just a mess. The same day the water started to clear showing signs of cycling the levels lowered I made a mistake and left fish food out. My 4 yr old took hole bottle and dumped in tank. Stayed up til 2 am removed all gravel washing and rinsing and washing in hot water. Did 30 % water change too. Water has not been same since. Took water to local fish store they said water ok. And I could add fish. But I did and they died. Soooo mad I went and got some clear away and after 2 doeses NOTHING CHANGED. . So I upgraded last night to new filter system. .. was thinking of just using same cartridge as it would fit new system but bobby said no. Use brand new ones. So thats were I am at. I have 1 neon tetra left with 4 platies. Soooo tell me what to do.... remove gravel and most of water and start all over??? I DONT WANT ANYMORE OF MY FISHIES TO DIE!

And yes! Current mmmuuucchh faster. There was no current at all with old system

I would say to take your fish to the lfs and see if thy can hold them for you. Then just let your tank cycle for two weeks. Check the param every day or every other day. Basically just start over.

So new gravel??? New water everything? I want to keep my fish!!! U should see it the gravel is sooo messed up with food still.

I was going to say just take fish out and let cycle. But ya you might have to. Just take all the gravel out and completely wash it then put it back and cycle the tank.

What about vacuuming it while in tank? Will that work????

Thats what I will do then. I will vacum the hell out of the gravel and see if that helps. Moving my fish momentarily. Thank u for your help.

So new gravel??? New water everything? I want to keep my fish!!! U should see it the gravel is sooo messed up with food still.
Hey, would you consider switching to sand. Will make things easier if the little hands get near the tank again!!!!. Easier to keep clean than gravel and imo looks better.....

Sand huh? Yeah I could do that. And I am all for easier thanks for helping me!

Sand huh? Yeah I could do that. And I am all for easier thanks for helping me!
I use sand in all my tanks. You could use blasting sand or kids playsand. I use playsand, wash it really really well. Put some in a bucket, use a garden hose(if you have one) and give it a good blast with the hose until the water run clear. Repeat this a few time until you have enough for your tank. The key is to wash it super well BEFORE you put it in and you have little to no clouding.....

Do you have an API fw master test kit? A bottle of Prime? This is all you will need to see your fish safely through a fish-in cycle (which you are now just starting) and care for them once your tank is properly cycled. If the fish food has been removed (my then 2yrold dumped an entire new container of food into a tank before, too), all you will need to do is test atleast once daily and do 50%wcs anytime your ammonia and/or nitrite hit .25ppm or higher. And have some patience! :)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Can I use sand in my tank if I already have fish in it? ??

No. I mean place my fish momentarily while I put sand in tank. ??? I have read up on sand. Conflicts of opinion. Do u think my fish would be ok?

No. I mean place my fish momentarily while I put sand in tank. ??? I have read up on sand. Conflicts of opinion. Do u think my fish would be ok?
OK. They will be perfectly safe. There has been many threads here, especially lately, on the 'Gravel or Sand' debate and the vast majority who have switched say they will NEVER go back to gravel. If fact I honestly don't recall seeing any posts, where people have regretted it. Personally, the main reasons I like sand are, it looks better(IMO) and is easier to clean and keep clean. Gravel, no matter how well you vac it will always hide some dirt. Anyone who has kept gravel for a while will agree with that. I switched and couldn't believe the amount of nearly black dirt was hiding in there and I vacuumed really well weekly....

Back
Top Bottom