To current or not to current!:)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discusapisto

Aquarium Advice Freak
This should be a fun debate!:) here's the topic to all of my planted tank geeks out there how do you feel about current in your planted tanks and list your methods of water flow. I'll start:) I have Rena canister filters on my planted show tanks and use spray bars just below the surface with a gentle current just enough to distribute my aquarium temp evenly and carry my ferts to the plants. I can't wait to hear what everyone is using:)

I figured I'd start this thread because you hear so much about co2 being dissipated with too much water flow or the plants not getting enough nutrients in strong currents. Also you hear stories of high water flow causing algae outbreaks and vice versa.

I've never, ever heard stories about high water flow causing algae, but I've head plenty for too little water flow.

I have an eheim 2217 and a koralia power head in my 40. Sometimes I find my self wanting more flow, sometimes less. In the tank I'm setting up at the moment, I'm probably going to go for moe flow than in that tank.

Thanks for the reply Chem. It's interesting to hear what other green thumbs are using. I love eheim's I have a new one ordered and on the way can't wait to try it out. What kind of tank are you setting up next size,high/low light, fish?

I have a 10g that has been horribly neglected that I'm refitting. Right now it only has about 10 Danio Erythromicron in it.

I just picked up a 40w PC fixture for it cheap on CL. Right now the plan is to us that and MTS+sand and do immersed UG for a few weeks, then flood it and plant the rest of it. Not sure what other plant's I'm going to be using. As far as fish.... I might not even put any in. Might just make it a RCS tank.

I have a eheim pro 2232 on my 45g tank and it's flow is kind of pathetic. Is there anything I can do to increase the flow rate without getting a whole new canister filter? Because that is just out of my budget right now.

Smcoyle87 said:
I have a eheim pro 2232 on my 45g tank and it's flow is kind of pathetic. Is there anything I can do to increase the flow rate without getting a whole new canister filter? Because that is just out of my budget right now.

Power head/flow pump.

The only problem I have with my strong flow is my Pearl Gourami's aint too impressed with it. But I have a couple of silvertip tetras that regularly gets brave enough to take the filter outlet on.

As for my plants I keep them out of the main stream just to prevent them from bending over. Don't have an algae or nutrient problem because of it.

The only problem I have with my strong flow is my Pearl Gourami's aint too impressed with it. But I have a couple of silvertip tetras that regularly gets brave enough to take the filter outlet on.

As for my plants I keep them out of the main stream just to prevent them from bending over. Don't have an algae or nutrient problem because of it.

I have the exact same problem as you do. my pearls dont like all the movement but my tank is a hexagon shape so its hard to get enough movement in the front of the tank without creating a cyclone of water, (which i found out is possible in my tank because i run a 406 and 305 on the tank, both on about 1/2 water flow)

my male guppy and silver tips take on the output, i think it is hilarious to watch!

aqua_chem said:
I have a 10g that has been horribly neglected that I'm refitting. Right now it only has about 10 Danio Erythromicron in it.

I just picked up a 40w PC fixture for it cheap on CL. Right now the plan is to us that and MTS+sand and do immersed UG for a few weeks, then flood it and plant the rest of it. Not sure what other plant's I'm going to be using. As far as fish.... I might not even put any in. Might just make it a RCS tank.

Man keep us posted that sounds really cool it's gonna look great!

epiphysis said:

Most Gouramis come from still waters so I'd imagine they wouldn't like swimming upstream lol!!! My discus hate the spray bar in my tank they are poor swimmers in the current but I have to admit I laugh every time they try lol!!!

rreekers said:
I have the exact same problem as you do. my pearls dont like all the movement but my tank is a hexagon shape so its hard to get enough movement in the front of the tank without creating a cyclone of water, (which i found out is possible in my tank because i run a 406 and 305 on the tank, both on about 1/2 water flow)

my male guppy and silver tips take on the output, i think it is hilarious to watch!

Too funny lol!

Back
Top Bottom