To get rid of Black Brush Algae 100% = tank teardown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Questions

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Siamese Algae Eaters aren't carried in any of the local stores here, and I'd guess they'd be hard-pressed to get rid of the BBA in the filter unit, in their own bodies, and other places. Is this the only way to completely get rid of Black Brush Algae 100%?

Tear everything down, soak every non-living thing that was in contact with the tank water in a 20% bleach solution (I'd go so far as 50%) for several minutes, discard all plants, and quarantine all livestock for a week just in case they have some of the algae in their systems, then start all over from the ground up.

I've never had a problem with BBA before, that is until I got some plants from someone and some root tabs from someone else. Not sure if it was the plants that were infected or the root tabs.

I don't think you need to tear down your whole tank. Just pick off what you can and bleach dip your plants & equipment . If you can not get SAE's locally then get them on line. In extreme cases you can treat with copper.

What about the spores floating around the tank?

What reputable online stores can I order true Siamese Algae Eaters from?

Algae requires nutrients, so if you can starve the algae it will die and no longer bother you. It is a true art to balance a tank like that, but an approach worth looking into. I have had luck staggering my lighting with a few hours off in the middle of the day.

Hair algae isn't one of those algaes that's caused by high nutrient levels. It's caused by being introduced to the tank from other sources , such as plants you bought, fish, substrate, filter media. Any amount of blacking the tank out or constant water changes will rid you of the problem.
You have to manually remove it, such as the bleach dipping method, SAEs (make sure you get the REAL ones, not flying foxes), algae eating shrimp, mollies, american flag fish, etc. Anytime you see a large leaf covered in it cut it off. Trim the tank till there is almost no algae covered leaves, even if you have to cut your tank to nothing. After that do a large partial water change to remove any excess spores. Then bleach dip the remaining plants, and/or introduce any algae eating creatures. If you have pressurized CO2 (not a yeast reactor) you can lower the PH to around 6-6.5, which will kill the algae off. Make sure your fish will enjoy a ph that low or algae won't be the only thing you lose.

depends on where you live. ive heard bearfan got them in like IL or wisconson somewhere. i got mine from a lfs here called "terris aqualand" aka petcenter.

I'm not sure on BBA, but if you cover the tank for 5 days, blacking it out. Won't that kill BBA? Again, I'm not sure. I know the black out method works for cyano (I've done it on cyano). You'll still have to clean your filter and decor really well.

Rather than type out a four page response. I'm going to recommend you read Rex Grigg's FAQ here on AA. Also, google search Chuck Gadd and read his web site. Everything you need to know about a planted aquirium you will find here.

Keep in mind. A planted tank is a bioshere. Everything depends on one another. Living in harmony (with a little help from humans in feeding, WC's, adding proper ferts, proper lighting etc...). Do some research and get a basic understanding of water chemistry in a planted tank.

FYI....If you post plant questions in the planted aquarium forum you might get more help. Theres several knowledgable and friendly people over there :wink:

I would definately check on the SAE thing, however, BE CAREFUL! Make sure that when you order online you are getting the true SAE's. I looked for a long time before I found the "real" ones at what is now the only dealer I buy fish from. True SAE's have the black line that extends to the very end of the center of their tail fins. (Sorry if that's confusing but its the best way I can explain it.) Good Luck!

krap101 said:
depends on where you live. ive heard bearfan got them in like IL or wisconson somewhere. i got mine from a lfs here called "terris aqualand" aka petcenter.

I got them from Petland in Naperville, IL.

You may also ask your more knowledgeable LFS if they can get them. They may not regularly, but one of their suppliers may have them.

I ordered 3 adult SAEs from AZGardens.com. It's only been one day and 2 of them are already dead (I slowly drip acclimatized them and introduced them to the tank, where they were hanging around the bottom). I could only see one plainly in view (swimming up and down by the powerhead, I'll bet he's real lonely without his friends) and wondered where the other two were. I had to pry around, and finally I found the 2 behind a piece of driftwood—dead. One of them appears to have lost its stripe too. Not even the Otocincluses I got from LPS were that fragile. I lost like 1 out of 6. Tank Girl, do you know if AZGardens.com guarantees live fish? Man, that was a lot of money too.

Well this is not good news! I just ordered a few juvies, myself. I know in the paragraph about these fish they mention that some deaths may occur, so I ordered a few extra (isn't that terrible to think like that? you would think I was ordering produce or something...) but they do have a guarantee so I would call them, or it might be the best thing to fax them a note about the situation. I don't know if they will even answer the phone until Monday, so I would go ahead and contact them so they know you did not wait around. I think they will make good on it.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom