To Spray or Not to Spray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdrake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank set up for a few weeks now and everything is running pretty well. The only problem is that the sand in the bottom of the tank is being blown to the side and exposing the bare glass.

I was considering putting a spraybar from the return of the pump versus the single nozzle I have now.(which is moving the sand around)

Is it better to have powerful water movement, as in the single nozzle, or to have less powerful movement, as in the nozzle??????

TIA

No
the return is angled down and pointed at the front glass for the water to deflect off the glass and give good water movement throughout the tank

How big is your tank? More water movement is better. JMO. Point the nozzel toward the front glass at 45 degree angle and up toward water surface a little for better gas exchange. This would reduce the flow force down toward the sand. I had to adjust mine several times too to get the water curents in my tank right.

Good point. Surface agitation is ideal for gas exchange. The energy lost to the waves at the surface should ease the blowing of the sand somewhat. I have a mag 7 pump and 2 powerheads going and I don't have any problems with blowing sand (I do see the individual grains dancing at times, though.)

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom