Tonys 75gl Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picked up 45lbs of live rock for my tank from my Lfs supposed to be cycled and cured... I think it's run through some of there tanks

image-978867968.jpg

I was forced to put my skimmer in my last chamber w/ this aqueon sump.... You guys think sponges will work to keep the micro bubbles out

Still breaking in but I would buy another sponge to put under it

Why not just make an egg crate box and use zip tie to secure filter floss around the drain pipe?

Yeah that's a great idea... How do I go about sterilizing it them? And just regular egg/milk crate, if that's the same thing? I wont have to worry about anything leaking from the crates?

Mr. D said:
Yeah that's a great idea... How do I go about sterilizing it them? And just regular egg/milk crate, if that's the same thing? I wont have to worry about anything leaking from the crates?

Egg crate- its at home depot in the lighting section. They call it defusers I believe

Okay, I know what you mean now... Thanks I'm defiantly running to homedepot and the fish store tomorrow

I have a coralife come skimmer for 150gl and I have had it running for about 36hours below the cup to break in... When it does break in will it automatically start skimming somewhat where I will only have to fine tune it or will I have to test and see

Mr. D said:
I have a coralife come skimmer for 150gl and I have had it running for about 36hours below the cup to break in... When it does break in will it automatically start skimming somewhat where I will only have to fine tune it or will I have to test and see

My octopus took 6 weeks to break in. Pretty much you get it do the bubbles only go in the cup and walk away for a bit then come back to adjust if needed.

Skimmer broke in a few hours ago, now just need to get about 20-30lbs of live rock and put my sand in

Adding my sand... Should I turn my return back on or wait till some cloudyness goes away 1st

image-2709965572.jpg

Clouded right up and I added my sand slowly and against the glass

Okay,thanks, I will see what it looks like in the morning

My tank was still getting many bubbles so I'm going to try a 2.5in there or my 3/4gl betts tank around the bubbler

image-3675482691.jpg

Idk how but the RO water I got to fill my tank has a lot of ammonia in it... I think it's from the pump I used to get it in my tank from outside even though I cleaned it very well... Some grass and stuff get in there but I guess this it good for now, my bacteria can handle this amount in 24hours with me topping off 2times a day... Looks like I will be adding fish Monday hopefully and my cycle will surly not slowdown if I can't

My in tank stats:
Amm: 0.25
Nitrite:0.00
Nitrate: 40ppm

When I normally buy this water it is all 0's so I am confident after I dump that nasty stuff the new water I buy will be all 0's as well... And I think this proves the rock is already cycled just like my local fish store said?

I teste the water every time I get it and have never had any nitrates so I'm pretty sure that's from the bio.

Mr. D said:
Idk how but the RO water I got to fill my tank has a lot of ammonia in it... I think it's from the pump I used to get it in my tank from outside even though I cleaned it very well... Some grass and stuff get in there but I guess this it good for now, my bacteria can handle this amount in 24hours with me topping off 2times a day... Looks like I will be adding fish Monday hopefully and my cycle will surly not slowdown if I can't

My in tank stats:
Amm: 0.25
Nitrite:0.00
Nitrate: 40ppm

When I normally buy this water it is all 0's so I am confident after I dump that nasty stuff the new water I buy will be all 0's as well... And I think this proves the rock is already cycled just like my local fish store said?

I teste the water every time I get it and have never had any nitrates so I'm pretty sure that's from the bio.

Was the rock live? Or base rock?

It is all Fiji live rock, they have some XL damsels and bristle star in with there live rock at the store

Got 3chromis today and a bottle of smart start as a caution since they are my 1st fish and saltwater fish!!! ... I drip acclimated them for 2hrs in a 2.5gl tank...does that sound about right?

Back
Top Bottom