Tonys 75gl Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone seems to be doing well after about 24hrs and I added a little more rock

image-3781102269.jpg

I'm in debates and I want a few more opinions... Is getting a tang worth the risk of ick in my 75 or should a get a blue jaw trigger which is way hardier but I would also have to keep an aggressive reef and couldn't have a CUC

Thanks guys :) .... Any input on the tang v. Trigger debate? I tried to leave a lot of swimming room for a larger fish or an active one like the two

Bristletooth tangs are perfect for a 75. I can't remember the name but the red with white tail one is awesome looking in person

Either is fine if you quarantine first :D tangs are more prone to stress though.

I would like to quarantine b/c I have a spare 30 just sitting there but idk if I have a place to set it up so I may not be able to... But if I could not have a pair of clowns I don't know if I would want the trigger.

My list would be:
Tang OR trigger
2 O. Clowns
3 chromis
6 line wrasse
Bi color blenny
Pink spotted goby
MAYBE a copper band butterfly of mandarin depends on pods and if I feel as though I have enough room.

And my skimmer is rated for 150gl tank so the mess made by the fish I'm not too worried about

I'm trying to pick fish to fulfill duties in my tank while still having the "wow" factor

I would stick with the tang. Less aggression. Triggers are MEAN the older they get and can go on killing sprees

Hmm... Idk I'm scared of ick without a quarantine and the horror stories 3-4yrs down the line of triggers and I know my mom really likes all the crabs... Is there any other coral safe fish out there.. I do not like foxfaces or anthies either

Mr. D said:
Hmm... Idk I'm scared of ick without a quarantine and the horror stories 3-4yrs down the line of triggers and I know my mom really likes all the crabs... Is there any other coral safe fish out there.. I do not like foxfaces or anthies either

Just to Throw in the pot of ideas

Firefish
Wrasse
Chromis
Dottyback
Goramma
Dartfish
Assessors
Goby
Blenny
Schooling banner
Chalk bass
Cardinals

Just to name a few

Thank you guys... I'm definatly getting some of those fish but after talking it over w/ my lfs I think I'm going to go with a tang

Last night added an inch (10lbs) of miracle mud to my fuge.. Well see if I believe the hype in a few months but at least it got a whole lotta trace elements in it and not risky like a DSB can be sometimes

I know the fish I want now..but what about corals? 4bulb aquatic life(individual reflectors).. I was thinking different zoas all on the bottom, some LPS 11" up and maybe 1 or 2 monti or acro 6"from the top... My light is directly over my rock work if that helps

Mr. D said:
I know the fish I want now..but what about corals? 4bulb aquatic life(individual reflectors).. I was thinking different zoas all on the bottom, some LPS 11" up and maybe 1 or 2 monti or acro 6"from the top... My light is directly over my rock work if that helps
You may want to hold off on the sps as they do best under MH. They only survive under LEDs.

Zoas are all different in requirements. So you may see them happy in other places of the tank. Also- there are a lot of LPS that thrive on the sand bed.

Jlsardina said:
You may want to hold off on the sps as they do best under MH. They only survive under LEDs.

Zoas are all different in requirements. So you may see them happy in other places of the tank. Also- there are a lot of LPS that thrive on the sand bed.

this is not true with quality led fixtures you can get growth way better than any mh. just look at mr.x. build.. there its plenty of information in that build about LED lighting. a little research can go a long way

Idk if I'll ever go MH b/c of heat and bulb cost but LED, eventually. I will probably convert or supplement sometime next year... Until then I may try one cheap piece of lower light SPS to see if it will live after I replace my bulbs with ATI ones.

Back
Top Bottom