too many decorations? lol -- 55gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hi wendi

I'm actually just about to get started now so I'll def post a pic today when I'm done.

all the people on this forum are telling me that my tank is beyond packed & that all my fish are all wrong for each other lol

i admit i don't know an insane amount about fish but i haven't had problems w/ anyone yet. obviously they'll outgrow the 55gal but for now no one seems too aggressive or too cramped :) but then again, what do i know ha ha

You know first hand how your fish behave toward their environment and each other.
There are no absolutes with fish, only most likely and in most cases. Then you hope it all works out.
Of course 99% of the time those in most cases are true, but when raised together, so called natural enemies can become unnatural friends.
Before my Grandson was born, my daughter and I raised wolves. The last 2 we had, Clarence & Emily, were as loving and loyal as any dog, sometimes more so.
While we had the 2 of them we also had 3 Rabbits. 2 Netherland Dwarfs and a Mini Lop. We had the rabbits first, then we rescued 2 3month old Wolves.
The rabbits had cages to sleep in of course, but I had trained them to walk on a leash for better exercise. And when I needed to clean their cages, all 3 played in the living room.
When the wolves came I didn't change a thing. I watched them very closely at first but the wolves ignored the rabbits and the cats. Then Fival, a 12lb Mini lop got brave one day and started to play with Clarence first, then Emily.
It got to where I could leave them alone for a couple hours at a time, while I cleaned up all the animal stuff. Since I lived in a small 2 bedroom duplex with 9 animals at that time. Three Rabbits, 2 Wolves, 1 8yr. old Lab/Akita mix and 3 cats, oh, & 2 people. So there was a lot of stuff to clean.
During that time, all 9 of them hung out together, never a single hostile action, except by our 1 jealous cat toward another cat.
How many of those animals would most say, would never get along? So you never really know for sure until you try. And talk about over crowding, LOL. At night while watching TV, I had to share the couch with Clarence (5'8" &110lbs), Emily (5'4" 85lbs) and Kita (the dog 72lbs). We were definitely overcrowded :invasion: and we loved every minute of it.
The wolves grew up to be gentle, loving & trusting animals, the rabbits grew up to to be unafraid of life. Most rabbits die from heart failure due to fear. They can have a heart attack because of a wind storm. Last but not least, the cats grew up to be tolerant of other animals. Kita was mommy to every stray I ever brought home from the start, even though she was spayed. She was an amazing dog.
To make a short story long, even so called enemies can live in crowded bliss.
I got a lot of, OMG!!!,that will never work, even after a year of working.
My point is, you know your fish. No one else knows them like you. Yes, always listen to the advise of the experts. Then do what works you and your fish.
PS. You should have seen the faces of my neighbors, when we, the 2 wolves, the dog and 3 rabbits, all went for our daily walks, PRICELESS.

Yeah there is no definite when it comes to other living creatures. Its very dependent on the fish/animal and the person taking care of them.

I rescued a pitbull that had been abused and made to fight. With a year of loving and proper training she's so calm that she took one of our cats as one of her own. She will follow him around and cleans him regularly (whether he wants to be cleaned or not lol). I regularly come home to find them both snuggled up on the couch.

Nature is only one factor, but nurture plays a big part of almost every animals personality.

thanks for all the compliments on Octavious :)

here is a few pics of the newer design. i added some plants and removed a few things. THE FISH DEF DIG THE NEW PLANT MAZE to play in.

i think i'm still going to move squidward's house closer to spongebobs & maybe a few other tweaks, but other than that I DIG IT!! & my fish seem to as well.

ladda mercy.

thanks for all the compliments on Octavious :)

here is a few pics of the newer design. i added some plants and removed a few things. THE FISH DEF DIG THE NEW PLANT MAZE to play in.

i think i'm still going to move squidward's house closer to spongebobs & maybe a few other tweaks, but other than that I DIG IT!! & my fish seem to as well.

ladda mercy.
Very nice work, ronnie. Great color and even though there is more stuff in the tank than before, the chaos is gone.
I have that same tree stump in my Cichlid tank and they love to swim in and out of all the different holes.

Back
Top Bottom