Too many fish... and does size matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueCrystalMan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had initially intended to just put three Koi in the pond to see how it went... so I did... and they were only about three inches long when I got them. Now, three months later, I'm estimating they are eight inches. Is this normal growth? Also, a friend stuck 'a few' goldfish in the pond... I think I have officially over a dozen fish in there now...

I know this because I got the bright idea to throw a handful of food in front of the one spotlight and I can see from the inside the feeding frenzy that ensues, and am able to see the fish... and there are alot of them... The koi are by far the biggest, but some of the goldfish are pretty big too...

Any problem with the number of fish? And do I need to worry about them growing too big?

Size of pond and size of fish both matter. A rookie rule of thumb is one inch of fish per sqft of water. I have also heard one inch of fish per five gallons. Personally I dont believe either of them. They are way to general. If you have a pond like mine and it has no bio filtration, then two fish would be too much. But if you have a 100gal pond with tons of bio filtration, you could stock it to the brim!

Personally, I would test your water...see where the Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels are. That will tell you if your over stocked.

Size does matter

10 gallons per 1 inch of fish. Koi can average out to 24 inches. I say go with 250 gallons per koi.

General rule of thumb is 15-20 gallons per comet or common goldfish which is probably the kind you have, also I may be wrong but koi need atleast 20-40 gallons per koi.

I agree 250 gallons per koi is a good guide. I wouldnt ever stock at more than 1 per 100 gallons, and preferably would give at least 500-1000 gallons apiece to get good growth, and make maintenance not so difficult, needing to do as many water changes on the pond and such.

really? i thought the rule was 1 goldfish per 10 gallons. koi/comets 20 gallons.... but im not an "expert" :D

Yes krap that is a general minimum guide for goldfish kept in an aquarium. It is different for a pond, since it can be difficult to always be doing LOTS of water changes in order to keep water quality where it should be. (Ponds still should have regular water changes, just like aquariums however in order for fish to thrive long term).
Koi are not goldfish, they are a different species, that grows MUCH larger, so therefor need more space. Although they are closely related enough that the two species can interbreed, it usually results in sterile hybrids, that are dull in color and are in general unattractive to most people.

Koi, usually grow to 24+ inches. Usually Fancy varieties of goldfish anywhere from as little as 4 inches (siamese dolls, and often celestial eyes, and bubble eyes stay fairly little), to up to 14 inches. Normal single tailed goldfish (excluding tamasabas, and nymphs), and wakins, usually get from 9-22 inches.

Back
Top Bottom