Too much coral added at once?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bawla47

Aquarium Advice Activist
my tank is about 3 months old, but i feel its more established then that, only because i did not see a cycle from the start. (used ocean salt water, completely cured live rock etc.

i recently boguht a finger leather, and ricordia and there doing EXCELLENT!.

i found a person locally(same city) selling a huge lot of coral for cheap. and wanted to jump on it.

metallic green alveopora
metallic green open brain
elephant ear mushroom
dark green ricordea rock(15 polyps)
9 pieces trumpet (1, 2, 3, and 4 head pieces) 24 total heads
brown bubble
white finger leather
brown/green devils hand
large brown tongue
red chile
3 yellow tipped torch
orange ball sponge
orange ricordea rock(3 polyps)
2 white tipped torch
flourescent green ricordea(2 polyps)
green zoo polyp rock (also 2 frags)
a few red and purple mushrooms

hes looking to sell it as a whole, but i think some of the corals listed wont do so well.(going to try and talk him into holding some and lowering price)

i havent researched them yet, but i think these wont do well in my tank.
metallic green alveopora
9 pieces trumpet
large brown tongue
red chile
3 yellow tipped torch
2 white tipped torch

You think any of those i can take off the list?

and the MAIN question is, is it ok to add that many corals at once?
im going to be adding 10-12 corals probably, maybe more.

anyhow, sorry for the long post, thanks in advance!

Jay D

I'm not quite sure what will or won't work in your tank, but I would be more than happy to pitch in for what you can't use (I'm quite sure I have the lighing to handle anything).

I just set up my tank, cycled it, and I'm looking to get some corals.

Why do you think that those corals will not do well in your tank?

You dont describe the lighting and water flow conditions of your tank. That is indeed a long list of corals and the issue would be also where you would place them all so they where not all on top of eachother. The alveopora wont do well in anyones tank so I dont even need to know about lighting, etc for that particular one.

i have a mag 7 now, pumping about 500 gph into the tank. i have a maxijet 1200 in the tank, but its currently shut off. its just a bit too much. im going to buy a smaller one, to get my total flow around 600 or so.

my lighting is in my sig, 4 x 65 compact flours. 4.7watts/gallon. 2- actnics 2 10ks.

so its not moreso a problem adding that many, just a problem on where to put them?
i need more advice please!

thanks so far.

I have a alveopora and so does my friend and they are a nice coral and do well.
I think you mean a gonipora FF..
The gonipora tend to die after a year or less.
like FF asked we need light type, watts, tank size
And because the tank cycled or didnt cycle does not mean its mature it just means you used good cured LR... Tanks need time to mature and there is no replacement for time.

metallic green alveopora
elephant ear mushroom
dark green ricordea rock(15 polyps)
9 pieces trumpet (1, 2, 3, and 4 head pieces) 24 total heads
brown bubble
white finger leather
brown/green devils hand
large brown tongue
red chile
3 yellow tipped torch
orange ball sponge
orange ricordea rock(3 polyps)
2 white tipped torch
flourescent green ricordea(2 polyps)
green zoo polyp rock (also 2 frags)
a few red and purple mushrooms

Corals can not be to close together and some corals can be closer to corals of a simular family but need to be further away from other families. This is because all corals excrete chemicals into the water when they sense they are being threatned by other corals. Of your list everything should work in your tank as far as lighting but the locations will need to be worked out. The LPS corals like the torch, trumpet and alveopora should find their homes in the upper half of the tank to get them closer to the light and the soft corals like the zoo's, leathers and mushrooms can find their way anywhere in the tank including areas that might be slightly shaded by above rocks. As a general rule try to have the corals spaced out so they are no less than 3" apart. Remember the LPS can have sweeper tenticles that can extend well beyond this 3" distance so their distance may need to be greater if you notice them attacking the other corals.

The alveopora wont do well in anyones tank so I dont even need to know about lighting, etc for that particular one.

Although alveopora and goniopora are both commonly referred to as "Flower Pots," from what I understand alveopora is much easier to care for than goniopora. A few years back I had purchased a true red goniopora and had good luck with it for about a year, but after I upgraded to a bigger tank, it unfortunately died. Although it is an awesome looking coral, for the year that I had the red goniopora I noticed no growth. I, too, have kept alveopora and currently have two in a 12 gallon nano cube. They have grown considerably and are doing great. HTH

Just make sure that the sponge is not exposed to air. It will surely die if it does. You`ll have to transfer it from his tank to yours without exposing to air.

Back
Top Bottom