Too much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40 gallon and I have a top fin 40 and an aquaclear 70. Is this too much?

No such thing as too much filtration, but there is such a thing as too much current. If you're getting fish that don't like current (bettas, blue gouramis) or fish that are small and would be manhandled by the current (neon tetras) it might be too much. But if you're getting fish that don't mind current and are big enough to swim out of it, you're fine.

I have a similar issue (?) as well. I have 25 gallon with an aqueon 30 HOB that came with the kit. Then I added a Fluval 206 canister ( couldn't resist the deal ~$60 on sale). Plus I wanted a canister as I've read they are good for live plants. I didn't want just leave out the HOB. So I am running both. The HOB runs in the mornings (8am-6pm) along with the lights. Now, my question is this too much? I know I need to tone down the output current (esp the Fluval) since I would like add a male betta to the tank. Currently, I have rasboras and tetras (7 ea). Any suggestions as to howI can control the current? Thanks

OK, I looked and the top fin 40 pumps 200 gallons per hour. That's a total of 500 gallons per hour in a 40 gallon tank, giving you 12.5x tank circulation. That is probably too much. You probably want no more than 10. (I even have a little over 9x and I feel there might be too much current.)

I have a similar issue (?) as well. I have 25 gallon with an aqueon 30 HOB that came with the kit. Then I added a Fluval 206 canister ( couldn't resist the deal ~$60 on sale). Plus I wanted a canister as I've read they are good for live plants. I didn't want just leave out the HOB. So I am running both. The HOB runs in the mornings (8am-6pm) along with the lights. Now, my question is this too much? I know I need to tone down the output current (esp the Fluval) since I would like add a male betta to the tank. Currently, I have rasboras and tetras (7 ea). Any suggestions as to howI can control the current? Thanks

Hi, I know you're new to the forum, but some people get very mad if you hijack their thread. Just for future reference, if you have a question start your own thread. Pertaining to your question, you have WAY too much current. You have 660 gallons per hour in a 25 gallon tank when both filters are on, so that amounts to 26.4x an hour tank circulation. I know the fluval was a great deal, but since you're getting a Betta, just the aqueon 30 would probably be enough.

Thanks for the response. Actually, I did think about that - hijacking some's thread, but decided to post as it was related. Apologies, to marge02144. Sorry, friend... no offense intended:(

Back
Top Bottom