TOO Much lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaheli

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just curious, is there a such thing as TOO much lighting for a tank? I've got a 55gal and saw a good deal for a 48" light aquarium light setup. It was 2 400w halide fixtures (with aquarium rated bulbs), and 4 65w power compacts.. Is 1060w too much for a 55gal? :) I figure I would be a little overkill. But, don't want to hurt the inhabitants.

My second question is.. Would 6x54w T5's @ 48" be ENOUGH lighting for a 55gal? (tank dimensions are 48x20x13).. I plan on having a 3inch sandbed.

Let me know, I want to purchase lights soon.

--Micah

The setup you described is probably intended for a 90 or 110 gal tank. They are pretty deep and need 400w MH bulbs. I think it might be a bit overkill for a 55 though. We have a couple of folks here who are using a 2x250w MH setup on 55 gal tanks with good results.
As far as the 6 54w T-5's being enough light for a 55....the answer is maybe. If you're going to keep corals with low light requirements...yes it should be enough. You might even keep some that have medium light requirements as long as they are close to the surface. It won't be enough for high light inverts though. No clams, anemones, SPS corals, ect... For them, you need MH.

We have a couple of folks here who are using a 2x250w MH setup on 55 gal tanks with good results.
I am one of these people 2x250w 10k MH along with 2x55w Actinic PCS Feel free if you want to look at my tank drop a line.. 2x400w would for sure be overkill.. the 2x250w heat and light my Apt pretty good..

HTH<
James

HEAT would be the BIG consideration, more than the intensity. 250X2 would be MORE than enough, and on a 55 I would probably even drop to 2X175. I had a Propagation tank that ran 2X400 and I didnt turn the heat on in my house till Christmas. It was REALLY hot and I had to run my bulbs over 18 inches off the top of my water!! Running MH's I would never go back to conventional lighting, My vote is for 2X175 MH and 2X110 VHO actinics!!! NICE COMBO!!!

HEAT would be the BIG consideration, more than the intensity. 250X2 would be MORE than enough, and on a 55 I would probably even drop to 2X175.
On a 55gal tank I am Easily able to control heat with 2 120mm 12v fans exhuasting outward.. The lights make no difference in the tank temp at all.. Dropping to 175w would make it where you could ONLE use them on this 55gal tank and have no room to grow when/If you got a bigger tank..

HTH<
James

Getting back to original question about the 400 watters. 1060 watts = 20 watts per gallon! WOW!!! If upgrade is unevitable, I would agree to suggest 2X250w and 2X110 VHo but really would consider heat. Even with just the 175 your running almost 570 watts which is 10 watts per gallon. I know watts per gallon are only a rule of thumb. I would like to see your setup Cj10488. I must be doing something wrong with my cooling. How high are your lights of your tank?

I know my tank is underpowered with 175's but I have a 200 gallon tank. My sps and clams (squamosa) are still doing fine but I could use the upgrade to 250.

Getting back to original question about the 400 watters. 1060 watts = 20 watts per gallon! WOW!!!
With MH lights WPG doesnt play any factor really They are going to be more intense than any pc, VHO, t5 ect...

I would like to see your setup Cj10488. I must be doing something wrong with my cooling. How high are your lights of your tank?
My lights are 7-8" off the water.. I attached a Pic of my canopy prior to me adding in Fans.. There is a 120mm 12v fan mounted on each Side Exhausting outward.. When I was looking into cooling I was informed that cooling my hood would be better performed If I went and Exhausted it outwards with no fan blowing In.. If you are using Fans to cool your lights try and flip them around to blow outside your canopy.. It helps more than one would think..

HTH,
James

I know my tank is underpowered with 175's but I have a 200 gallon tank. My sps and clams (squamosa) are still doing fine but I could use the upgrade to 250.
FWIW I would run 3x400w on a 200gal.. For cooling I would mount 1x120mm fan on each side exhausting out and maybe 1x120m fan on top exhausting out as well If the fans on the sides could not cool it down enough.. Just make sure if you upgrade you acclimate everything to the new intensity lights

HTH<
James

WPG is not really a thing with MH lights.. it depends on depth.. I believe its 18-24" = 175w 24-36" = 250w and anything over 36" is 400w is the general Rule of thumb.. On a 55gal either 175w or 250w would work 250w is better as it gives you room to upgrade to a bigger tank.. BTW here is a current pic of the inside of my hood.. Thanks Again to Darin at CaptiveReefs.com for the wonderful Pc lights to supplement my halides..

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom