too much yellow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
My main tank is a 30 gal hex. It currently has:

6 h. rasboras
3 lemon tetras
5 panda corys
1 gold gourami
1 betta (male, solid red)

I have a bunch of anacharis in there, a smallish piece of driftwood, and a big white rock. The substrate is Eco with black gravel on top.

I used to have blue gravel in there, and I thought it looked pretty silly and un-natural. I replaced it with black gravel, and I like the look a lot better, but now the tank is totally missing blue.

I also had velvet wag swords in there, but they were always pregnant and chasing each other around and almost killed my mystery snail, so I moved the snail to a different tank, but now I also moved the swords to a different tank. The swords were also on the large side and spent a lot of time crowding the bottom with the cories. I would prefer a smaller schooling fish that will stay around the middle.

I really like the lemon tetras, so I was going to go up to 6-8 of them, but the tank is already too yellow. Well, I don't know if I really mean that, but it seems ridiculous to add more yellow fish when that's the only bright color I have already. I also really like the gold gourami. I was thinking of replacing it with a blue gourami, but the bright leopard-like colors of the gold one are really nice, and the blue gouramis I've seen are much more pale in comparison.

I'm trying to find a way to add more blue to the tank, and possibly some more red. I just want some more balanced bright colors.

I've never been too fond of neon tetras, but I saw some really nice bright ones today at the LFS. I was thinking I could move the rasboras to a different tank then get a bunch of neons.

I thought turquoise guppies could add some blue, but then I'd have to get rid of the betta. I could also get rid of the male betta and go with multiple female bettas to add more blue/red.

I like cherry barbs, but it's not a really bright red that stands out, so I probably wouldn't be that happy with them.

Things I'm considering are:

add neons:

1 gold gourami
1 red betta
8 neon tetras
6 lemon tetras
6 panda corys

add female bettas:

1 gold gourami
3 female bettas
8 lemon tetras
6 panda corys

I've found that you really have to be careful finding fish that occupy all the levels of a hex tank well, or else it'll look empty. The bettas and gourami will go all around the tank, and most of the schooling fish stay around the middle.

I think glass cats are really cool, and they seem to spend a lot of time around the top. They also like current, and my bio-wheel shoots a pretty good current across the top, so I thought they might work well in my tank. They're a little on the large side, though, so I'm not sure if getting 3-4 of them would be a good idea.

I'm just looking for any general advice/ideas. Thanks!

I have a female Betta that I thought would work in my community tank, but she was chased by the Lemon Tetras.
Does anyone have Lemons and Female Betta and it works?

I would add the Neon Tetra for extra color.

WaterPond said:
i heard that bettas cannot be kixed with gouramis, or is that only the dwarf variety?

I've had 3 different male bettas with that gold gourami and never had any problems. It probably depends on the gourami, since it's so much larger.

Back
Top Bottom