top five community tank safe fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rudfudge

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys been debating today between me and the mrs which are the best peacful fish in regards to colour and activity. She likes the blue gourami and im in love with the blue rams. Whats everyones top 5 in the colour and activity table? :)

Harlequin rasaboa
Neon tetra
Cherry barb
Platies
Dwarf Gourami's

All very active the barbs like to hide tho so have some cover if you get them

Peppered Cory
Honey Gourami
Blue Columbian tetra
Harlequin Rasbora
Bolivian Rams

Some of my favorite rare community fish

Sumatran neon green kuhli loach
Dwarf chain loach
Zebra spiny eel
Stiphodon goby
Orange fantasy eel

Rasboras in general
Peppered corys
Bronze corys
Neon tetras... and
No clue probably pygmy cories...

Not as much color but lots of activity

KUHLI LOACH-seriously, HOURS of entertainment! will actually "play" with your fingers!
RUMMYNOSE TETRA-great schooling, awesome coloring
NEON TETRA-can't beat the color
DWARF GOURAMI-mine can be shy, but once they feel safe, they have big personalities and gorgeous colors
GUPPIES-not the most popular choice, but my son's guppies are beautiful and fun to watch.

A lot more variety posted then i expected. Googled a couple of these fish and am now thinking of adding to my setup lol

KUHLI LOACH-seriously, HOURS of entertainment! will actually "play" with your fingers!
RUMMYNOSE TETRA-great schooling, awesome coloring
NEON TETRA-can't beat the color
DWARF GOURAMI-mine can be shy, but once they feel safe, they have big personalities and gorgeous colors
GUPPIES-not the most popular choice, but my son's guppies are beautiful and fun to watch.

Whats ideal conditions for the kuhli loach they aound fun?

I have room for either a pair of fish or a small school and now im spoilt for choice lol

You can find some decent info on the kuhlis online on different sites. I can just tell you what I have set up for them, and they are doing really well. I have a 60 gallon long, currently with gravel. They are doing okay with the gravel but I have just purchased a much finer substrate for them bc I know they like to burrow and play. Will be switching over soon (not looking forward to that chore). I find that my kuhlis are pretty hardy, and don't seem to mind my hard alkaline water, contrary to what the online resources say. I find that keeping water parameters stable is so much more important than the "perfect" conditions that some fish supposedly require. The main thing about the kuhlis is that they are VERY social fish, and you need a large group of them for them to feel safe enough to come out. Otherwise they hide all day and only come out at night to eat. Some sources say to get a group of six, but I think that's really not enough. I would suggest at least 10. I have 18 and like I said, they are out all the time! They wiggle up and down the glass, they will swim through your fingers, and they even "play dead" on the plants...so funny! They do require some plants, caves, rocks, whatever to hide under, and they will "snuggle" up together, so cute. And like I said, they prefer a soft substrate to burrow in, so mine will be lots happier soon! :) They are extremely peaceful, and don't even bother my shrimp babies or any fry! And they are AWESOME at cleaning up the gravel! These are seriously the best fish I have ever had and I love them! I got lucky and found them at a Petsmart near me and they had them on sale for only a buck apiece! (Which is why i went ahead and purchased all 18 that they had ha!) I highly recommend these fish, as long as you get several so you can see them at their best.

Yeah mines cycled months ago now. Got a 55 uk gallon i think thats around 75 us gallons. Atm i have 4 cories 10 neons 2 blue rams 1 blue gourami 1 horse face loach 2 bala sharks (they are just babies atm and will be going in a 75 uk gallon in about 6 months-my next project). So im thinking 1 more school for now and something else when the sharks get their new pad

Not really sure what kind of info in the clown killies you need. I can tell you they are very hardy little guys. They spend 100% percent of their time at the VERY top of the water so having some type of floating plant would really benefit them. They do stay incredibly small and being at the top all the time can put them at risk for getting injured/killed if you have nippy fish. So you just really need yo make sure they have really peaceful tankmates:)

Back
Top Bottom