tossed between 29 biocube or 75gal tank. thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ice fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
so my lfs i go to has a few 29 biocubes that ive been eyeing up but also has a sale on some 75 gals...my dilema is that with the biocubes most everything is there and is ready to go if im correct? im new into the saltwater but not with aquariums. i know that 75 gal will give me more variety of fish and be easier with keeping the water correct. so my thought is...what do you guys think? im tempted to start small so if its not for me im not stuck with 1000$+ of equipment and fish to get rid of instead of a 29 cube. id like to put a golden dwarf moray and fuzzy lionfish in the cube with a few reef fish. any suggestions? and how much upgrading would i need to do to the biocube to host these two fish?

Having a BC29 for 6 months and it's addicting! You want more corals and more corals and more fish or one nice centerpiece fish. You'd wish you'd gotten a bigger tank. I'd go with the 75g.

I went with the BC29 because I thought it was gonna be really hard doing saltwater and I was intimidated.

75 gallon all the way. You'll thank us later.

I have a regular 29 and a 75. I wish I have just gotten the 75 first and not had the expense of both.

Having a BC29 for 6 months and it's addicting! You want more corals and more corals and more fish or one nice centerpiece fish. You'd wish you'd gotten a bigger tank. I'd go with the 75g.

I went with the BC29 because I thought it was gonna be really hard doing saltwater and I was intimidated.

75 gallon all the way. You'll thank us later.
^this is the reason why im thinking of doing the biocube. id like both of these fish and a reef build but as for $$ and space wise the bio seems the better option. i was thinking if i enjoyed it id upgrade to bigger and better tanks and if i thought it wasnt for me itd be easier to tear down and either sell off or start a new idea with the tank.

i know everyone says to go with the 75 but both the fish i want and have wanted can fit into the biocube and a few other fish with them happily while i reef up there habitat.

Buy the 75 gallon once you have the 26 biocube you will want it to be bigger so if you do change your mind on the kinds of fish you get somewhere along the line you will be able to change your course and have a wider variety of fish to choose from.

so your saying buy both? im just saying for now my set up id like would be attainable in a 29 biocube with a reef setup along with my fuzzy lionfish and dwarf eel. i guess everyone wants to go big or go home though?

Well if you go with the BC29 and want any help with mods or anything I'll be more then happy to offer my opinions and advice. I have the BC29 and I modded it out from pump to lights to power heads to wave makers to media basket to skimmer to.... Well.... You get the picture lol. The choice is yours.

i appreciate it. what do you suggest for a reef build with the fuzzy lion and dwarf eel? what mods will i need and around how much will it cost?

ice fish said:
i appreciate it. what do you suggest for a reef build with the fuzzy lion and dwarf eel? what mods will i need and around how much will it cost?

I'm still new to the saltwater game. Tank has been up for 6 months. So I don't k ow what those fish require. But I can help with mods. The BC29 has some nice mods and cheap. Like taking out the false floors. Buying a inTank media rack and upgrading your pump. PM me and we go further into it of you choose. Here's my video of my BC29

your set up for 6 months is amazing man. thats the picture i had for the reef build i was looking. ill send you a pm shortly. oh and nice taste in music as well ;)

The less water in the tank the less room there is for error, although a light fixture for a 75gal will probably cost a fortune, in my honest opinion i would get the BC29 if you plan on reefing. If you want a marine tank/strictly fish get the 75

Jacobsal91 said:
The less water in the tank the less room there is for error, although a light fixture for a 75gal will probably cost a fortune, in my honest opinion i would get the BC29 if you plan on reefing. If you want a marine tank/strictly fish get the 75

If have to agree at this point. Jacob makes a lot of sense an you see a BC29 will do fine as a reef tank and maybe it is more suitable. Yes smaller tank, less room for error BUT if you do your water changes, change out your filter floss, poly floss whatever you use. Test test and test. Dose only for what you can test for and ONLY of needed your gonna be just fine.

yeah i think im going to do the bc29. i love the idea of having corals and some nice fish swimming around them. and doing water changes and testing,dosing wont be a problem for me once i get down a system

I just started my biocube 29 three days ago. Convict is def a good friend to have. He answered a lot of my questions already. I def recommend do some mods. I took out the false floors and removed the little lip between chambers one and two before I did anything. I am ordering the media basket as well. Not going with a skimmer right away though. I put a koralia 425 in and am getting another one to get a nice current. Four or five fish and a nice selection of corals is my goal.

22engine said:
I just started my biocube 29 three days ago. Convict is def a good friend to have. He answered a lot of my questions already. I def recommend do some mods. I took out the false floors and removed the little lip between chambers one and two before I did anything. I am ordering the media basket as well. Not going with a skimmer right away though. I put a koralia 425 in and am getting another one to get a nice current. Four or five fish and a nice selection of corals is my goal.

Yeah your on your way! Can't wait for pics.

And thanks for the kind words brother.

+1 on Jacob's comment. I've had my cube for 6 yrs and love it. If you are more interested in keeping fish, go ahead and take the 75 gal plunge as you are limited to what you can get in a 29 gal cube.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom