tossed between 29 biocube or 75gal tank. thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it wasnt a salesman that i talked to about them fitting in there. it was research online so i didnt think it to be wrong. i think im still gonna give the eel a try and see how he works. if he doesnt i can always trade him in to the lfs for some other fish and no harm done :) plus if this works i can be a success story for others that might be interested in dwarfs in biocubes. am i right?

ice fish said:
it wasnt a salesman that i talked to about them fitting in there. it was research online so i didnt think it to be wrong. i think im still gonna give the eel a try and see how he works. if he doesnt i can always trade him in to the lfs for some other fish and no harm done :) plus if this works i can be a success story for others that might be interested in dwarfs in biocubes. am i right?

Not really. The point is for the fish to be happy, not the fish owner:)

A person can live in a closet, that doesnt mean hes happy and healthy and thriving. But again i gave you my opinion. It seems like you want me to say "yeah its perfectly fine, it will do great, what could go wrong?" best advice i can give you is to get the 75g. If you have to save money then save. I think in the end you would be happier you did.

Good luck, i dont wanna start any arguments so I leave you with my final opinion.

we will see then i guess. i respect your opinion. im going shopping around tomorrow at some stores so ill find out more what i want.

ice fish said:
we will see then i guess. i respect your opinion. im going shopping around tomorrow at some stores so ill find out more what i want.

Not to give you even more to choose from but there are other nano cubes that are pretty good, The BC is really nice but it can get expensive. Check online if you have a budget you might be able to find others for less

yea i was looking at that. ill be heading down to a major city here tomorrow for more looking and might find a decent idea or two and maybe good deals? heres hoping...

i also just read a post in here saying that a small dwarf lionfish would be ok in a 29 bio? i can send you the link if you like

is there a lionfish that would do ok in a 29gal, if it is by itself, or with one or two other small fish? just curious. That is our qt for the biocube right now, and will be either a fowlr or goldfish, big difference, no decision...it would be at least a year from now before the biocube is done, and another 3-6 mos before we put anything in it...

a single dwarf would be fine Dendrochirus brachypterus

^that is what was said in the post

Personally any venomous animal should be in a larger tank. Lowers your chances of getting hurt. Lol
And just know lionfish dont usually go well with corals... Just be careful :)

I kept a lion for several months in a regular 29 gallon and then I took him back to the lfs. They grow really fast and there was not enough room for it in that tank witch is 10" longer then the cube. And have you ever seen one of them eat? Well he ate a couple of my small fish that I used for cycling simply because they had no choice but to swim close to him due to tank size. A 29 gallon tank is longer then the cube as well. I would go with the 75 gallon or go with smaller species for the bc29. Just my opinion

29 is a tad bit better in your pocket but not as stable as a 75.The 75 will be able to allow more fish,so it really all depends on space/budget.

I kept a lion for several months in a regular 29 gallon and then I took him back to the lfs. They grow really fast and there was not enough room for it in that tank witch is 10" longer then the cube. And have you ever seen one of them eat? Well he ate a couple of my small fish that I used for cycling simply because they had no choice but to swim close to him due to tank size. A 29 gallon tank is longer then the cube as well. I would go with the 75 gallon or go with smaller species for the bc29. Just my opinion
thats why i was going to get a dwarf fuzzy lion they are one of the smallest.

29 is a tad bit better in your pocket but not as stable as a 75.The 75 will be able to allow more fish,so it really all depends on space/budget.
thats why it appeals to me so much because its a nice size and it fits well and is solid for the price most lfs want for it

ice fish said:
thats why i was going to get a dwarf fuzzy lion they are one of the smallest.

When I got rid of mine it was probably only 4.5"-5.5" it was just to big. You have to remember that their side fins and spines are almost just as long as the fishs body. So your talking about putting a fish in there that would be like 7-8" long and 5-7" wide. There is just not enough space to swim freely threw out the tank when you consider live rock and etc. In there. Imo I'm totally agreeing with everything schism has said

Last edited:
The BC29 also isn't really a 29g tank (display wise). The filter takes up 4-6 gallons so more of a 24g tank display after you get live rock and sand then you would be at 20-ish gallons (display wise). The extra filter area would be probably 2-3 gallons of actual water because of the air spacing.

I also believe when 30g are listed as the tank size for Dwarf Lions and that Golden dwarf eel, they need at least 36'' of swimming room.

A golden dwarf eel is around $300, the cost of the tank and the extra money for the 75 becomes inconsequential. One of my favorite Marine books written by Bob Fenner recommends for saltwater 40g and up.

I have seen most people have to extensively modify their BC's and even change to LED lights if they wanted SPS and clams.

i will probably get a biocube later down the road and stick with small fish like clowns and such. but as of now, i think im going to wait on a purchase. i dont want to set up a biocube and then move out of my house after a year or so of it being cycled and running. im assuming that moving them like say...a 30+ minute drive would injure the stock and reef inside?

ice fish said:
i will probably get a biocube later down the road and stick with small fish like clowns and such. but as of now, i think im going to wait on a purchase. i dont want to set up a biocube and then move out of my house after a year or so of it being cycled and running. im assuming that moving them like say...a 30+ minute drive would injure the stock and reef inside?

Put the tank water in buckets and place corals and live rock inside. And personally i would put inverts and fish in a separate bucket. It shoulnt bother them just be as quick as you can to re- assemble everything. Its a bigger pain to you than it is the animals. If you were moving firther away that could be a problem

well bigger problem with that is i have a car so...all those buckets and such will be crowded and might slosh around. plus im not sure how far away i might be moving. it could be 30 minutes it could be 3 hours...

Back
Top Bottom