Toying with new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grannysneo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I have a 125 gallon Oscar tank. He has a few buddies and hubby has a 75 gallon africAn cichlid tank. It's a my tank/ your tank kind of thing. I've been kinda toying with the idea of a 20 gallon max tank with guppies only unless I add a couple Corys. If I do can I run a filter on mine for about a month then transfer it to the 20 gallon so I don't have to cycle it . Also are Guppys fairly hardy -- not interested in Other small fish -- and would I do better with under gravel filter or with back filter or what? Like I said I've not even got a tank yet . I know a couple of my friends have tried Guppys without much success but not sure if it's the Guppys themselves but they can't seem to keep them. Years ago I had a friend who had them and they seemed to breed like crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1. Filter media: Yes you can. With a high bioload such as you have on the 125g I wouldn't even worry about a cycle tbh.

2. Filter: A HOB filter would probably be best.

3. Fish: Guppies are very very hardy. Take a look at aquabid if you want some higher quality guppies than the regular run of the mill guppies.

How many Guppys could I start with. I know it's a 2 female/1 male But around here at the lfs. Females are hard to find

How many Guppys could I start with. I know it's a 2 female/1 male But around here at the lfs. Females are hard to find

I probably wouldn't start with more than 9. With that in mind, you are going to have to find an outlet for all the extra guppies you're gonna have. It will be easier to get rid of them if you buy only a single strain such as I pointed out in aquabid. They will breed nicer and not be a genetic hodgepodge.

Ok thanks I'm gonna start looking around at different tanks before I makemy mind up.

Ok thanks I'm gonna start looking around at different tanks before I makemy mind up.

Back
Top Bottom