Transfer from 55 gal to 125

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cindy6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All: Just signed up yesterday-I'm not the brightest when it comes to figuring out this forum--OK I have a 55 gal. reef (full), Rena canister filter, and BakPak 2 skimmer. I got a 125 gal. for Christmas with ecosystem-- already collecting RO water for it--any advice out there on the transfer from my 55 gal. to the 125!!! Should I move everything at once or should I fill the 125 and add some new bags of live sand and partially cured live rock and let it cycle first and then move everybody from the 55 gal.?!?! If I move all at once and add my stored RO salt water and put bio stuff from the 55 gal. into my ecosystem I'm thinking I won't have any cycle like a new tank? Right?!?! I realize I can't add live rock unless it's fully cured. Does live sand from the bags go through a cycle when first put in a tank due to some dieoff? Just started this 1 year ago with my 55 gal.--love it but still learning. Any thought?!!!!!! Cindy6

If you're in no hurry I'd fill the 125 and cycle it with your new rock and sand. Then move the old rock and ditch the old sand and do your aquascaping. Make sure the parameters are the same between the old and new before the live stock move.

Might need some new/additional equipment if you are planning on stocking the 125 heavy. Not to mention some additional powerheads for flow in the bigger tank.

Not sure what ecosystem is though

If you're in no hurry I'd fill the 125 and cycle it with your new rock and sand. Then move the old rock and ditch the old sand and do your aquascaping. Make sure the parameters are the same between the old and new before the live stock move.

Might need some new/additional equipment if you are planning on stocking the 125 heavy. Not to mention some additional powerheads for flow in the bigger tank.

Not sure what ecosystem is though

Agree with ditching the old sand transferring the old sand over can cause a lot of ammonia and Nitrate to stir up. To much nastiness.;)

Hey thanks for responding--by ecosystem I mean a sump with a refugium/miracle mud. my new tank has 2 cornerflows and I won't be using the Rena canister at all--should I use any "old" live sand to seed the 125??

also should I transfer any bio balls from the canister to the sump?

Cindy6

Welcome aboard Cindy. A couple yrs ago I went from a 55 to a 125. I did it all in a few hours. I took out 3/4 of the water and then me and a friend moved it out about 4 or 5 feet then put the new one in it`s place. Then I was able to add new sand and stand between the two tanks and transfer everything over to the 125. It worked beautifully and didnt have any issues. Good luck on your move.

Back
Top Bottom