Transferring shrimp to a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punchy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have cherry shrimp in a 30L tank which are thriving but numbers are getting high so I got a new 60L tank for them.
Its been cycling for 2 weeks now and all parameters are identical to the 30L tank - temp, ph, kh, gh, nitrate, nitrite. I've also moved a few plants between tanks to help.
I added 4 to the new tank today before transferring them all and all 4 died within a couple of hours.
Originally, most of the shrimp were added to the small tank after only about a week of cycling and I only had a couple die so i thought 2 weeks with the new tank would be plenty. I've also used Seachem Stability to help provide beneficial bacteria.
I have no idea what I am missing or doing wrong... any ideas?
Thanks

Yep, I use RO water from my rainfall tank so there should be no chlorine but i still use Seachem Prime anyway to be safe. I added another 3 yesterday and 2 are still alive so hopefully the problem has somewhat resolved itself, or these ones were just more hardy.

If you use rain from a roof type system, some collections of water could be more polluted.

Say water from rain after a longer period without rain allows more soot, bad air particles, which could be worse after fires, or if you are in or closer to industrial / manufacturers, or city areas vs. a rural area far from commercial operations causing air pollution. In a class I had, there was an alert about rain water becoming unsafe because of what can be concentrated on the roof.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom