Transparent eggs growing on Guava leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NStalgia

Aquarium Advice Activist
So we have a Guava tree and I decided to put a couple leaves on my tanks since I read it was good for the water. It had some small white stuff which I was thinking was probably fungus or mold. So i washed it, cleaned it and made sure I removed every bit of it then boiled it for 5 minutes before putting it in the aquarium. After a day small parts of the leaves started turning brown. I was surprised and thought why is it decaying this fast and upon closer inspection it had brown jelly egg type stuff on it. I've read online a little and all I could manage to find was it was probably snails since I had plants in my tank and I found 1 small pond snail on one of the plants that i bought. Problem is I found another egg type stuff on another leaf I put in a different container where there's nothing in there but a platty that I was keeping while I was fixing his tank. If these are snails how do I find them? Cause I see absolutely nothing in the plain container. I wanna get rid of them cause someone said that they carried parasites and worms and I don't wanna have to worry every time i stick my hand in the water specially since i get cuts on my arms sometimes.

I don’t know about the snails carrying anything worse than the fish could already have (or when introducing more fish), not to mention a fish tanks water is far from a sterile environment even without any known parasites in the tank. It’s basically like sticking your hand into your toilet water, not a good idea if you have an open wound!

Some Snails can be hard to find, I can say that speaking from experience lol. I have bladder snails in both of my tanks (plant hitchhikers that I decided to keep) and even the largest egg laying ones are near impossible to find a lot of the time. My larger mystery snails are pretty active all day but the small bladder snails seem to disappear for a few days then they’ll come out of hiding for a while.

Can they lay eggs even when they're still small? It's just weird how one of the leaves in a plain container managed to get eggs on them when there's nothing visible in it other than a single platty. I put one of the leaves in another container to see what they are if they hatch.

The bladder snails I have started laying eggs when they were about half the size of being full grown. The larger ones I have now are about 1/2” long, so they were about 1/4” when they started laying eggs.

Now this is getting weirder. Then those aren't snail eggs then. I doubt they're fungi since I boiled the leaves 1st. Well thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom