Transporting fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vb1946

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone give me advice on how to transport my fish on about an hours journey. I have a small 5 gallon tank with some danios in unheated water with a sponge filter, could I empty about 2/3rds of the water and leave about a 3rd and would they be alright in the boot of the car and make sure nothing falls over in the tank and wrap tank in bubble wrap and save the water I take out and when I get the other end make sure both temperatures of water match to put back, am I thinking right or is this ridiculous, I am thinking it would be the same as bagging them.

I would suggest that you do a water change the day before. When you get to the new place just add treated water. Other then that it sounds good.

Thanks for advise, will do what you stated. I suppose it will be less stressful for them than trying to net them and less hassle for me. Thanks again

I've done these types of moves in the past. It would be best if your 5-gallon was an acrylic tank, though, as the silicone in a glass tank (with water in it) can become compromised. Glass is more fragile under pressure so careful with bumps in the road. Wrap the tank in lots of towels to keep the temperature stable. What is the anticipated outdoor temperature on the day of the move? Will this be a city or highway commute?

David

Thanks, although a bit worrying, most of the journey is on the motorway, highway to you I expect, will be careful going over any bumps and will make sure tank is wrapped well. Not too sure of date moving but wanted to know in advance of what I doing.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom